[Vision2020] Life after death

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Dec 30 11:03:01 PST 2006

You are right, Andreas. In Genesis 5:22-24 we read how Enoch "walked
with God. ... All the days of Enoch came to 365 years. Enoch walked
with God; then he was no more, for God took him."

The Jewish Study Bible, p.2, says, "The meaning of the statement that
'God took him' is unclear. ... It is possible that Enoch's earthly
life, like Elijah's (2 Kings 2:11), ended without death."

Both Jewish and Xian scholars agree that there is definitely no life
after death in the Torah (the first five books of the OT) and nobody
dies and goes to heaven in the rest of the Hebrew Bible. Thus the
only way you can get to heaven is to go there physically, like Elijah
(and Jesus, too), while you are alive. Once you're dead, you're dead.
Period.

When I go to Bible scholars' conferences, I like to ask people if
they know what breed of horses carried Elijah up to heaven. Of
course, they have never heard of such a thing. "Well, I have inside
information that they were Appaloosa horses. How do I know that?
Because we have the Appaloosa horse registry in Moscow, Idaho, where
I live."

Ralph