[Vision2020] Gary Crabtree: Please Leave Me Alone, Part 3

Michael Metzler michaelmetzler at email.com
Wed Dec 27 22:02:14 PST 2006

Libel & Freedom of Speech

Since Gary was concerned about my recent discussion in the philosophy of
law, I wanted to make some further clarifications, in case you are at all
interested:

As I have watched the difficulties related to freedom of speech on the
internet compound over the last couple years, which has included actual
cases of successful and unsuccessful litigation, I have grown fairly
confident that law suits should and will increase over the next few
years; this will likely help set better standards for casual, public
speech. The internet is a new medium that both law and informal custom is
still trying to catch up with. Vision 2020, as many have already noted,
at times captures the problem well--particularly since it is a local,
small community group. In the case of libel however, where *malice,
repetitiveness, and obtusely intentional falsehood* is of greatest
concern (as far as I can tell thus far), in my opinion almost no one who
writes to Vision 2020 would I think attract fruitful legal action; and
this goes for J Ford too, who I take generally believes the things she
says about others. I also do not think that J Ford’s primary interest is
simply causing harm. Of course, a successful law suit would I think help
us all understand the importance of protecting each other’s reputations.
Libel causes real harm and it needs to be dealt with more than it
currently is on the internet—in my humble opinion.

Thanks

Michael Metzler

--
Search for products and services at: