[Vision2020] PNAC: Rebuilding America's Defenses

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 16:24:39 PST 2006

Sunil et. al.

Thank you.

I should add that I read through Juan Cole's"Top Ten Myths About Iraq" and
found this a well reasoned and factually based piece.

I would love for everyone subscribed to Vision2020 to read "Rebuilding
America's Defenses" from the PNAC site, a serious work of academic military
planning, completed before the 9/11 attacks, to understand that dramatic
increases in US military forces in the Middle East was in the works before
9/11.

The billions being spent on the Iraq war, and the death and suffering
inflicted, is worth it, to some of the cynical realists who control foreign
policy, given this simple equation:

112 billion barrels of oil (Iraq's minimum estimated reserves) X $60 a
barrel equals 6,720,000,000,000 dollars, enough to pay for at least 13
Afghanistan/Iraq wars given the costs so far, though of course this estimate
of revenue generated from this oil is not all profit.

Assuming oil goes over 100 dollars a barrel, which many experts assume is
only a matter of time, and do the math again.

And of course our military presence in Iraq can help to secure far more than
just Iraq's oil reserves, but Saudi Arabia's as well.  We can do the math
again with the figure of Saudi Arabia's estimates of 260 billion barrels of
oil reserves...enough to pay for at least another 30 Afghanistan/Iraq wars,
at $60 a barrel

When considering the financial stake in protecting oil resources, the Iraq
war is a bargain.

Ted Moffett