[Vision2020] Otter Plans Closed-Door Oath Taking

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:07:53 PST 2006

On 12/26/06, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:

> What is it about his inauguration that Governor-elect Otter doe not want
> publicly known?

That question strikes me as unintentionally humorous. I distrust the
government in many circumstances, but all of my distrust is pragmatic,
based on the performance (or non-performance) of governors, mayors,
congresspersons, councilors, etc., at a functional level.  However,
ritual is, or should be, of zero actual importance.

Maybe Otter has an intensely personal relationship with God, and he
feels that turning his inauguration into a public spectacle would
cheapen it?

Maybe Otter objects to taking oaths at all, and he is trying to avoid
the fundamentalist zoo that would result from his choosing to affirm
instead of to swear?

Maybe Otter admires greatly the few presidents who have opted for
private ceremonies, and he is striving to emulate them?

Maybe Otter dislikes the media, and this exclusion is a message to them?

Maybe Otter feels strongly that he should swear in on a stack of holy
books, comprised of the Qurʾan, the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the
Urantia Book, but he seeks to avoid the tempest this would cause?

Maybe Otter is an atheist, an agnostic, a Deist, or a secular
humanist, and he is uncomfortable swearing in on any scripture at all,
but he seeks to avoid the tempest this would cause?

Maybe Otter would like to spend more time actually doing the job that
he will be paid to do, and feels that all politicians should do
likewise -- that substance is more important that form, in other words
-- and this is his example to his peers?

Maybe he is shy?  Maybe he doesn't like the look of his face, or the
sound of his own voice, on film?

Maybe he has a Jehovah's Witness grandfather who has pleaded with him
not to take oaths?

I can think of many reasons that don't have any sinister implications
at all, as demonstrated above.