[Vision2020] Merry Yule

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Mon Dec 25 20:41:51 PST 2006

Here is a letter I have sent to the Lewiston Tribune that may apply
to Donovan's sentiments.

I have just read John Webb's complaint (Dec. 19) about people who
object to the word Christmas. He seems to be unaware that many of his
fellow citizens are not necessarily Christians. There are even some
Christians who object to the celebration of Christmas, like the
Pilgrim Fathers and Jehovah's Witnesses. Why? Because Christmas is
really an old pagan festival that was adopted by the early Christian
church. Nobody knows when Jesus was born. And he's not telling.

Mr. Webb should try living in Scandinavia, where they don't even have
a word for Christmas. December 25th and the season associated with it
is known as "Jul" (pronounced Yule, the same as in English). They buy
Yule gifts and Yule cards. They celebrate Yule Eve and Yule Day. They
erect Yule trees, sing Yule songs and dance Yule dances around the
tree. And since Scandinavians live in northern Europe, the Yule Man
visits them first. In Denmark, Norway and Sweden he puts the Yule
presents under the Yule tree on Yule Eve instead of in stockings on
Yule Morning.

So here's wishing everybody, Christian or not, including John Webb, a
Glaedelig Jul, Glade Jul, God Jul, wherever you may be.

Ralph

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 24 22:21:40 PST 2006

Andreas,