[Vision2020] the Princess, Part 8 (Imprecatory, Prayer Part 3)

Michael Metzler michaelmetzler at email.com
Sun Dec 17 18:24:30 PST 2006

The anonymous Princess Tush of the Kirk now writes:

    The book reveals to us a worship scene in Heaven, taking place in
    the

    immediate presence of God. There "I saw under the altar the souls
    of them

    that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which
    they held:

    and they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy
    and true,

    dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on
    the earth?"

    Does that sound to you like an imprecatory prayer? It does to me.
    In the one

    place where the Greek scriptures show us by far the most detailed

    description of worship, imprecatory prayer is part of that
    worship. The

    prayer is offered up by human beings -- the disembodied souls of
    martyrs, to

    be sure, but they are no omniscient than we are -- and they are
    calling for

    God's vengeance upon certain evil men who have persecuted
    Christ's church.

Princess, I’m getting the distinct impression that you have never had any
intention to carefully read the replies to you or the arguments elsewhere
on this topic. I alone have repeatedly mentioned the important and very
clear distinction (no, chasm) between Doug Wilson’s critics and literal
enemies who are murdering and mutilated innocent people, innocent people
who are seeking peace with all men and doing nothing to arrogantly
provoke the violence. Brutal, violent men who unceasingly ravage, murder,
and torture innocent, peace-loving people are a class of people the
historical Christian may wish to see punished and forced to stop their
cruelty via vengeful retaliation from the appropriate authority—in this
case God’s providential judgment procured through innocent prayer. This
is no different than the scenario you give here from the book of
Revelations.

On a Christian reading of this text, there would be additional
eschatological issues to consider, and the fact that these people are not
on earth—don’t know about the “disembodied souls” stuff—will certainly
make for a different narrative context for their action and prayer.
However, these other considerations do not matter, since this
prototypical imprecation from Revelations is already limited to the clear
case of people desiring vengeful punishment against those who shed
innocent “blood.”

And this is precisely what is so perverse about the liturgy of violence
in the Kirk: they create the enemy so that they can slaughter the enemy
through their prayers of bloodshed, prayers against those who have not
shed any blood and my not have even picked the fight (Wilson’s “war”) to
begin with. If I were you, I would fear that I was the kind of person on
the receiving end of these kinds of prayers from heaven.

Let me be clear Princess: your attempt at defending this kind of
liturgical violence against your local, peaceful neighbors who happen to
merely criticize you for things just like this nonsense of imprecatory
prayer is vile; it is very vile. It is evil in fact. It is a mangling of
Christian history, the Christian text, the Christian story, and all
common moral sense. What you perversely call “mature” Christianity here,
that “immature” folks like myself just “don’t get” for some reason, is
actually a demonic eye towards the very destruction of those social
traits that any stable civilization must maintain. This is madness.

Your kirk flippancy towards all us “immature” people strikes at the
foundations of higher learning, the possibility of fruitful discussion,
and, in fact, our American legal and political traditions—I suspect that
if your teaching spread through American Fundamentalism and took root
that we would have to pass laws against what you are here advocating.
Considering this, and your clear disinterest in listening to the
arguments from those who disagree with you, the social madness of your
“Christian” proposal, and your very strange desire to remain fully
anonymous, this will likely be my last words to you.

Your attempt at trying to wind back the favor of your local non-Christian
neighbors is curious, but typical of the Kirk.

Thank You

Michael Metzler

www.poohsthink.com

--