[Vision2020] Unexploded Munitions in Vietnam

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Dec 17 10:00:43 PST 2006

>Greetings:

Let me get this straight: someone on this list, who has yet to offer any
documentary evidence in support of any of his views, always insists that
others do what he has never done.  And when the person produces the
evidence, it is deemed slanted or insufficient.  And then one who has no
teaching credentials has the audacity to "grade" the success of the
documentation!

Since the Vietnamese sapper, who has cleared unexploded munitions for 11
years, and his international supporters are somehow "Commie" liars, let me
take a more deductive approach.

It is well known fact that modern battlegrounds and areas that have been
bombed are littered with unexploded ordinance.  Even today exploded German
bombs are found in England and over the years they have killed many
people.  U.S. supplied cluster bombs dropped by Israeli jets are now
killing dozens of civilians in Lebanon.

In terms of weight dropped, the U.S. bombing of Vietnam was three times
that in both the European and Pacific theaters of World War II. "The United
States Air Force dropped in Indochina, from 1964 to August 15, 1973, a
total of 6,162,000 tons of bombs and other ordnance.U.S. Navy and Marine
Corps aircraft expended another 1,500,000 tons in Southeast Asia"
(Clodfelter, Michael. (1995). Vietnam in Military Statistics: A History of
the Indochina Wars, 1772-1991. Jefferson, NC: McFarland).

We don't have to take the sapper's word for it: we only have to embrace the
logic of this evidence.  There are tons of unexploded ordinance in Vietnam,
Cambodia, and Laos.

My argument therefore stands:  Vietnamese killed by U.S. forces during the
war and after because of unexploded munitions and Agent Orange far
outnumbers the total who died by Communist hands after the war.  And we are
still waiting for the evidence of how many deaths that might be.  I would
guess that far more died by the hands of pirates than by those ugly Commies.

Yours for fair and accurate history,

Nick Gier