[Vision2020] Kramer Out of UI Coach-search Process

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 09:43:15 PST 2006

This isn't good news. Kramer seemed like the best of the bunch as far as someone who might actually make a committment to the program.

   Another UI candidate backs out; Kramer withdraws after interview in Moscow; Akey, Bennett most prominent possibilities still in mix

  By MATT BANEY
OF THE TRIBUNE  At the beginning of the week, two men emerged as the top candidates to become Idaho's next football coach. This weekend, they are both out of the running.   Montana State coach Mike Kramer, a Colton native and former Vandal lineman, announced Friday that he is no longer a candidate. It was a bit of a surprise, considering the media campaign he waged for the job earlier in the week.      Kramer offered this written statement: "This is simply not the time for me to leave Montana State. We are at a point in time where our current players deserve to know whether I'll remain, and where the recruits we've spent months trying to bring into the Bobcat program need to know. Idaho is a special place to me, but my heart is here."      Earlier in the week, former UI coach John L. Smith -- who was also considered a frontrunner -- backed out of the search.      That leaves Washington State defensive coordinator Robb Akey and former Michigan State assistant Blaine Bennett
 as the most prominent candidates. Idaho defensive coordinator Jeff Mills might also be in the mix.   Akey, who has been a defensive coach for the Cougars since 1998, reportedly interviewed with Idaho earlier this week. He hasn't returned phone messages.      Bennett, who still lives in Michigan, interviewed in Moscow on Thursday afternoon. The Walla Walla native was a backup quarterback for Idaho in the early 1980s, and was the head coach at Western Oregon in 1995-2000.   "It's a great opportunity," Bennett said when reached at his parents' home in Spokane. "It's a job I've dreamed about for a long time."   Bennett said Idaho plans to make a decision by Tuesday or Wednesday. He will fly back to Michigan today.      Another name that might be on the Vandals' list is Jim Harbaugh, the coach at I-AA San Diego. The former NFL quarterback reportedly turned down an offer from Tulane, and is thought to be a candidate at Stanford of the Pac-10.   The San Jose Mercury News reported
 that Harbaugh and former NFL receiver James Lofton were supposed to interview with Stanford on Friday.      Reached at his San Diego office by the Tribune on Friday morning, Harbaugh had this to say: "I hate to say, 'no comment' -- that's just the worst thing to say in the world. But there's really nothing to add at this point that will help you."   Kramer, 52, interviewed with Idaho in Moscow on Thursday. According to an Associated Press report, Kramer said that he decided to remove himself from consideration as he drove home to Bozeman, Mont., on Thursday night.   "And I called Mr. (Rob) Spear last night at 10:30 and said, 'I will not be a candidate for the head coaching position at your university,' " Kramer said at a news conference Friday morning, according to the Associated Press.      In an e-mail to the Tribune, Spear, Idaho's athletic director, has this to say: "We discussed the position and had a very good visit. At the end of the day we mutually agreed it was
 not the right move for Mike or for the University of Idaho."      During his news conference, Kramer reportedly acknowledged this week's arrest of current player Andre Fuller and former players Eddie Sullivan and Derrick Davis on drug-related charges had a role in him not getting the Idaho job.   "I told Rob that this situation at Montana State requires my leadership," Kramer said in the Associated Press story. "I'm talking about the arrest and the ongoing legal situation of Andre Fuller, and even our ex-players, because the last thing I want to do is leave a program with the feeling that there's some work undone. I want to get this issue resolved."   On Thursday, before Kramer was officially out of the picture, an Idaho publicist said in an e-mail that the school would probably make an announcement early next week. In his e-mail to the Tribune, Spear said that timetable is still accurate.      Idaho has been without a coach since last Saturday, when Dennis Erickson left
 for Arizona State.   ------   Baney may be contacted at mbaney at lmtribune.com

http://mail.yahoo.com