[Vision2020] tony's worries for american women

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 16 08:44:29 PST 2006

>From Slate magazine (no friend to conservatives)

100,000 Dead-or 8,000How many Iraqi civilians have died as a result of the
war?
By Fred Kaplan
Posted Friday, Oct. 29, 2004, at 6:49 PM ET
The authors of a peer-reviewed study, conducted by a survey team from Johns
Hopkins University, claim that about 100,000 Iraqi civilians have died as a
result of the war. Yet a close look at the actual study, published online
today by the British medical journal the Lancet, reveals that this number is
so loose as to be meaningless.

The report's authors derive this figure by estimating how many Iraqis died
in a 14-month period before the U.S. invasion, conducting surveys on how
many died in a similar period after the invasion began (more on those
surveys later), and subtracting the difference. That difference-the number
of "extra" deaths in the post-invasion period-signifies the war's toll. That
number is 98,000. But read the passage that cites the calculation more
fully:

  We estimate there were 98,000 extra deaths (95% CI 8000-194 000) during
the post-war period.

Readers who are accustomed to perusing statistical documents know what the
set of numbers in the parentheses means. For the other 99.9 percent of you,
I'll spell it out in plain English-which, disturbingly, the study never
does. It means that the authors are 95 percent confident that the war-caused
deaths totaled some number between 8,000 and 194,000. (The number cited in
plain language-98,000-is roughly at the halfway point in this absurdly vast
range.)

This isn't an estimate. It's a dart board.

You can read the rest of the article at http://www.slate.com/id/2108887/

I hope that helps.