[Vision2020] Pity Poor Pooh What makes his "hunny" yellow?

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 04:15:45 PST 2006

I know there is little love lost for Doug Wilson on V2020, but I wonder if
it bothers anyone here when lies without any basis in reality are told about
him.

Pooh is suffering from a bad case of jaundice. All the while I thought Pooh
was drinking down hunny, it turns out to have been a bucket of bile. When
reading some of the outlandish assertions posted at PooStench recently, I
truly feel sad for Michael Metzler's sake that his mind has twisted to the
point where he could publish such distortions, but I am nevertheless amazed
that he seems to believe there are thinking Christians out in cyberspace
able to swallow such stuff. His recent posting on "Uncle Doug's Cabin and
the CREC" causes me to worry about not only the spiritual health, but also
the mental health of the author. Quoted material from PooStench is in
brackets, and my comments follow --

[Here are the facts about Wilkins that Wilson neglected to cite.]

Oh, goody! We get to feed on FACTS today. Surely this means we can expect
some serious evidence provided to establish "factuality" as opposed to a
series of unsupported assertions. We'll find out . . .

[First, don't waste your time reading Wilkins' answers to the SJC because he
is a dishonest man . . . ]

Things are not getting off to a good start here, but as bad as the above is,
it just keeps going downhill. Let's consider some possible meanings of this
assertion. Does it mean Wilkins is in fact orthodox, because his "heretical"
replies to the SJC questions are not what he really believes? Or does it
mean he is a heretic because his "orthodox" replies are not what he really
believes? Or does it mean that he is a heretic because he is being truthful
with his heretical replies and lying with his orthodox replies? Or should we
conclude he is really just a self-conscious apostate who doesn't believe in
God at all, and for him the third and ninth commandments are simply tools to
be used to fleece the sheep? Or does it mean we cannot conclude anything
from whatever Wilkins might say? Some clarification would be nice, to say
the least. Especially since he is a pastor in good standing in a
conservative Christian denomination that has something like 1500 churches.
Nota bene, some people in the PCA is getting their panties twisted over how
Wilkins crosses his T's and dots his I's on narrow questions of conservative
Calvinist theology, not over "plagiarism" or SSAIW.

[. . . a dishonest man as evidenced by his plagiarism, which he did not
limit to Southern Slavery As It Was . . . ]

Evidence, please? And please provide evidence that any such so-called
"plagiarism" is even relevant. Even if someone had committed the most
pernicious, deliberate plagiarism imaginable at some point in the past, it
would hardly constitute proof that the person is lying now when he gives
testimony concerning his most fundamental beliefs.

[ . . .  just as the E Free elders noted that Wilson tailors his doctrinal
answers to his audience, so I expect that Wilkins would do the same.]

I once said, "I believe it's raining." On another occasion I also said, "I
believe it's not raining." One thing I believe all the time, rain or shine,
is that it is not hard to cull from the collected utterances of any person
statements that sound contradictory when they are taken out of their
respective contexts and placed side-by-side. It is also true that people's
beliefs are subject to revision. But one thing I find incredible is that
someone like Wilson would deliberately tailor doctrinal statements to give
his audience what he thinks they want to hear. Given the kind of theology
that Wilson is known to publicly preach, the only way he would be capable of
doing such a thing is if he is really just a self-conscious apostate. Even
then, it is still hard to believe because of the obvious impossibility of
keeping such discrepancies secret. He would have to be one of the stupidest
"evil geniuses" of all time. But even if that was a true assertion about
Wilson, does it therefore follow that it must also be true about Wilkins?

[If you can judge a man's character by his friends (editor's note: this is a
strong "if'), then you may safely judge Wilkins a scoundrel due to his close
friendship with Douglas Wilson.]

I don't know what Metzler's insertion here of "a strong 'if'" means, but
does it follow from this that Peter Lilliback, president of Westminster
Theological Seminary, is also to be safely judged a scoundrel? How about
Mars Hill's Ken Meyers? In the context of sympathizing with the theology of
Wilson and Wilkins, we could also cite Reformed Theological Seminary's John
Frame and LaSalle University professor Joel Garver, among many other
prominent Christians in Reformed and Presbyterian circles; are we also to
conclude that these men must be scoundrels?

[Second, Wilson's interest in Wilkins has nothing to do with friendship or
theology; it's all about power. Wilson is working Wilkins just as he works
everyone else, bleeding him dry of his resources, which in this case amounts
to the eight churches that compose the Louisiana Presbytery in the
Presbyterian Church of America.]

With a statement like this, it would be nice to see even a shred of evidence
instead of an empty assertion. Is there any evidence that the entire PCA
Louisiana Presbytery would defect? In a denomination like the CREC, how does
a pastor in Idaho "bleed dry" churches in Louisiana? Do they have a
bloodmobile go around to each church and suck all the blood out of each
member to take back to Idaho for Wilson to consume? Seriously, as for adding
to Wilson's personal influence, yes, perhaps in a sense there is a potential
for his influence to grow as the CREC grows, but there is also a very real
sense in which Wilson's control over the denomination gets diluted as it
grows. The CREC keeps doubling in size every few years (no big surprise
since it is so small) and these churches are not only in the USA but also in
other countries around the world. Are we to believe that the members of CREC
churches in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, East Asia, Southeast
Asia, and Africa, all speaking different languages, are all just a bunch of
Doug Wilson groupies? Local CREC churches send zero money to levels higher
up in the denomination. There is no reason to think that the addition of
eight churches to the CREC would put any significant money into Doug
Wilson's pockets, especially since these particular churches already have
their own publishing house. There is not much here (if anything) for Wilson
to gain in terms of either "power" or "bleedable resources."

[Wilson has courted Wilkins since at least 1995, which was one year before
they co-plagiarized SSAIW.]

1995 would be three years before the founding of the CREC. What "bled-dry
resources" does Wilson have to show for the past 11 years of courting
Wilkins? - so far that would be ZILCH. If Wilson were an investment manager
he would have been fired long ago for such a miserable track record. If a
Christian lusts after power and money, there are many far easier and more
successful approaches to them than this. If those are the sorts of things
that motivate Wilson, he is nuts for not having become a televangelist: he
could have donations pouring in by the truckload and politicians kissing the
ring on his papal finger.

[But here's the point: Wilson has bragged for many years (at least since
1999) that "Wilkins and his presbytery want to leave the PCA by making a
statement," and they've been planning a show-off exit for many years. Wilson
sold Federal Vision to Wilkins and the Louisiana Presbytery long before 2002
when the Monroe Four debuted, and you can be sure that Wilson convinced
Wilkins he'll be a martyr when the PCA puts him out for false doctrine.]

Evidence, please. It does not make sense on the face of it. If Wilkins and
his presbytery wanted to leave the PCA, and to make a statement, they could
do so without being declared heretics. They could just say, "We want to
practice paedocommunion and we can't do it in the PCA, so we want out."
Wilson "sold" Federal Vision to these men? What's in it for them? "Oh,
goody! Martyrdom! We get to lose many friendships and perhaps a lot of
tangible wealth too. We'll be remembered in perpetuity right alongside
Servetus. And all we need to do, to gain all these wonderful things, is
espouse heresies that we don't really believe! Doug, you're a genius - where
do we sign?"

[This will be the exit if the SJC decides against him (as they should).
Wilson's latest post shows that he believes the hour draweth nigh. If they
do put Wilkins out, then the entire Louisiana Presbytery will feign shock
and offense as they showboat all the way into the loving arms of Pope Doug.]

The entire Presbytery "will feign shock and offense"? Essentially, what's
being asserted here is that the entire presbytery is simply incredibly
stupid AND corrupt. Again we have to ask, what's in it for them? The
incredible cynicism and slander being voiced here might still make a smidgen
of sense if we could conceive of some possible tangible benefit to the
people in the PCA's Louisiana Presbytery. But they don't gain anything at
all, at least nothing that they couldn't get through less painful means. The
"logic" at work in this assertion is totally bananas.

[And don't forget that the Dixie hick has coattails with all his Southern
Heritage Society buds as well as his League of the South klan. This probably
explains why Wilson rewrote SSAIW and called it Black and Tan . . . He's
courting Kentucky fried Presbyterians for that day when Wilkins leads a
heretics' rebellion, breaking loose from the PCA's orthodox fetters, and
flees for Confederate liberty to Uncle Doug's Cabin and the CREC, where they
have only one confessional standard - "Doug said, I believe it, that settles
it."]

Okay, run this by me again. To gain power, Doug Wilson in Idaho is appealing
to a tiny group of marginalized Presbyterians located primarily in the
American South, who are connected (at least in the popular press, if not in
reality) with racism, and a group that has by far the highest concentration
of so-called "Truly Reformed" types who absolutely loathe Wilson's "Federal
Vision" theology. I must say, this strikes me as really brilliant ploy for
gaining influence and power in America today - about as brilliant as the guy
who put on his parking brake and then got out of the car and tried to push
it up an ice-covered slope while wearing dress shoes. I dunno, maybe
Wilson's evil genius is able to see a brilliant strategy here that is
totally lost on me. But again, we have to ask, even if this were Wilson's
plan, what's in it for the PCA Louisiana Presbytery? Why would anyone want
to flee to a denomination where the only confessional standard is "Whatever
Doug Wilson says?" What else could one call that other than fleeing from
freedom INTO slavery? This does not compute.

[In short, Wilson has coveted the Louisiana Presbytery in the same way he
coveted COTK, and he has waited over a decade for this day.]

Again, not a shred of evidence is provided (indeed, on its face it is
obviously impossible to provide solid evidence for much of what has been
asserted in Metzler's post). Instead, we have just another assertion.

Folks, essentially, what we have here in Metzler's post is someone sitting
down in front of his keyboard and trying to imagine how he could portray
events surrounding Wilson in the worst possible light, and then typing
exactly that. It is a figment of a perverse imagination, and nothing more. I
don't care what anyone's opinion is of Wilson or Wilkins, it still remains
that certain minimum standards have to be met in discourse, otherwise you
not only lose the respect of those around you, you also lose all
self-respect. In his posting on the topic "Uncle Doug's Cabin and the CREC,"
Metzler has not come close to fulfilling these minimum standards. He is
simply spewing bilge water, and the fact that he expects his readers to
imbibe it shows that his judgment is not to be trusted. At least where
Wilson is concerned, he has neither objectivity nor discernment. Even
allowing that people might have legitimate disagreements with Wilson over
various matters, that cannot justify a willingness to publish any slander
regardless of how utterly implausible it might be on its face. If someone
were to ask, "Is there a sense in which Doug Wilson and the CREC might stand
to gain from what seems to be unfolding now in the PCA?" I wouldn't have any
problems with that kind of speculation. But for Metzler to publish these
assertions that all of this is part of a diabolical plot that Wilson has
been working on for over a decade is a both an insult to human intelligence
and also a slander beneath contempt. Metzler needs to have his head
examined, and his heart too.

-- Princess Sushitushi