[Vision2020] Nothing but reasoning?

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Dec 13 14:05:49 PST 2006

Dear Princess:

You have evaded my question.  If you reject that Enlightenment as much as
the two Dougs do, then you cannot claim to be doing any reasoning or place
any value on it.  And if revelation always trumps reason, as many
conservative Christians believe, then that leaves reason in a very shaky
position.

But what I've found is that the two Dougs will use and even teach reasoning
when it suits their purposes, but in other contexts give the Enlightenment
and all the good that it gave civilization the boot.

With regard to how much Enlightenment thought I accept, however, you need
to read two of my articles: "Synthetic Reason and Aesthetic Order" at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/srao.htm and "Premodernism, Modernism, and
Postmodernism" at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/490/premod.htm.

Rationally Yours,

Nick Gier

>Dear Mr. Gier,
>
>I'm not well enough informed to be able to either agree or disagree beyond
>noting that in general I tend to agree there seems to be a strong
>influence of Enlightenment categories in your thinking.
>
>-- Princess Sushitushi

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to human
affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm