[Vision2020] Arctic Wolves' Dedicate Wall Honoring Fallen Comrades

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 13 12:07:12 PST 2006

>From the American Forces Press Service -

(Ensure to copy complete URLs)

Sgt. Robert Sult speaks to the media about his experiences during his
deployment to Iraq following a 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Memorial
Wall dedication at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Dec. 12. Photo by William D.
Moss
http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2006-12//hires_121306-
D-1142M-008.JPG

Dog tags with names of fallen warriors from the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat
Team hang from an M4 assault rifle on display at the Memorial Wall
dedication at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Dec. 12. Photo by William D. Moss
http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2006-12//hires_121306-
D-1142M-009.JPG

Sgt. 1st Class Cole Shepherd straightens a portrait of one of a fallen
soldier prior to a Memorial Wall dedication honoring fallen 172nd Stryker
Brigade soldiers at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, Dec. 12. Photo by William D.
Moss
http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2006-12//hires_121306-
D-1142M-010.JPG

A Memorial Wall dedicated Dec. 12 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, displays
photos of fallen members of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team. Photo by
William D. Moss
http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2006-12//hires_121306-
D-1142M-026.JPG

Arctic Wolves' Dedicate Wall Honoring Fallen Comrades
By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska, Dec. 13, 2006 - The Arctic Wolves bid an emotional
farewell to 36 of their own yesterday as they gathered here to dedicate the
172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team Memorial Wall.

Leaders from the unit joined about 25 family members of the fallen in the
atrium of the high-tech Battle Command Training Center here to remember 26
Stryker Brigade troops and 10 soldiers from units attached the brigade
during its deployment. Another 150 brigade soldiers just back from a
16-month deployment to Iraq watched the ceremony in an overflow room on a
large-screen TV.

Col. Michael Shields, the brigade commander, acknowledged the "incredible
price" his troops paid in Iraq. "These men and women paid the ultimate
sacrifice in places like Mosul, Tal Afar, Rawa and Baghdad," he said. "They
died serving their nation, their unit and, I think more accurately, their
fellow soldiers," he said.

Those who died were among the small percentage of Americans who have served
and fought the war on terror, he said. "While most Americans don't
understand the great evil that exists, that threatens our very existence and
the security of our children's future, these soldiers did," he said. "They
were all volunteers."

Rather than focusing on how these soldiers died, Shields urged those at the
ceremony to use it as an opportunity to celebrate how they lived. "This
group of warriors consisted of hunters, fishermen, outdoorsmen, mountain
climbers, snowboarders, skiers, musicians, cowboys, philosophers, athletes,
pilots and so much more," he said.

"These soldiers were someone's best friend, leader, son, brother, fiance,
husband and dad," he said. "Several of them left children that will never
know their father."

Chaplain (Maj.) Robert Nay opened the ceremony with an invocation expressing
thanks for "these brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice" and
asking for comfort for their families, friends and comrades.

Then Shields and Command Sgt. Maj. William Ulibarri, the brigade command
sergeant major, unveiled the memorial, with 36 framed photos of the fallen.
In front of the wall stood a memorial stand, with a pair of combat boots,
Kevlar helmet, goggles and an M4A1 rifle with bayonet. Thirty-six dog tags
with the names of the fallen hung from the rifle.

Nay explained the symbolism of the memorial and how it helps tell the story
of those it honors.

"The memorial stand with the boots, weapon and helmet stand (is) alone,
empty (to) remind us of the ultimate sacrifice," he said. The headgear
represents the soldier's ability to think, react, learn and lead. The rifle
symbolizes the battle soldier's face, and the cover on the bayonet, the
peace they want. The boots are meant "to carry us wherever our country leads
us," Nay said. The dog tags represent the personal aspect of the losses and
the soldiers "who are loved and deeply missed ... and will never be
forgotten," he said.

"The faces you see before you represent the human nature of war," Nay said.
"These men and women remind us that freedom is not free and that it is their
shed blood that allows our nation and, more specifically, our families, to
pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, which is the American
dream."

Troops attending yesterday's ceremony called it a fitting tribute to their
fallen comrades and a lasting reminder of the sacrifices they made.

Among those at the ceremony was Sgt. Robert Sult, from 1st Battalion, 17th
Infantry Regiment, who lost four fellow soldiers in Iraq, including his
roommate and best friend, Spc. Raymond Henry.

"I think of Henry every day. He meant so much to me. He was the best friend
I ever had," Sult said. "We learned a lot from each other, and I know he can
touch other people, too. On this memorial wall, he can still show people
what it's like to serve his country and just do the right thing."

Sgt. 1st Class Cole Shepherd, who served in the brigade's rear detachment
during the deployment, called putting together the memorial wall an act of
healing for everyone involved and a way to serve those who didn't return
home. Shepherd and three other soldiers took extra pains to make sure it was
perfect, including making the frames for the photos at the post craft shop
when the ones they bought simply didn't measure up.

"This represents what our lives are about in the Army and the ultimate
sacrifice we make for the freedoms our friends and families enjoy every
day," he said.

Sgt. David Ferguson, from 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, called the
losses the unit took, particularly after the Army extended the unit's
deployment by four months, devastating to the unit. "We were so close to
coming back, so it hit us all really hard," he said.

But like many of his fellow Arctic Wolves, Ferguson said losing their
buddies made them more committed to their mission. "It's really hard on you
for awhile; it's kind of hard to get used to not seeing them anymore," he
said. "But once you do start going back out (on missions), you remember that
for the rest of the time, you're there for them, to fight for their honor."

After the ceremony, family members approached the wall, taking pictures and
gathering with soldiers and commanders who knew their loved ones. Jesse
Alcozer, father of Pfc. Christopher Alcozer, wore a "Vietnam Veteran" hat as
he approached his son's photo and placed his hand on the corner of the
wooden plaque. The 36 dog tags clinked as relatives rifled through them,
looking for the name of their soldier. Families heard funny stories or
memorable moments of their soldiers from those who had served with them in
Iraq.

"As you pay tribute in your own way today, leave this hall with your head
high, proud of these soldiers' service to their country," Shields told the
families and his 172nd Stryker BCT soldiers in closing. "That is what these
warriors would want you to do."

He recalled the saying that soldiers never truly die until they are
forgotten. "Arctic Wolves, you will never be forgotten," he said.

Mission Iraq: The Story of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, the Arctic
Wolves
http://newsminerextra.com/2006/stryker-tab/

Seeya round town, Moscow.

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"