[Vision2020] The Unhappy Feet of Ed Iverson

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Dec 11 17:33:06 PST 2006

>From today's (December 11, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to
Rebecca Rod -

The unhappy feet of Ed Iverson

Ooch! Seems the highly acclaimed kid's movie "Happy Feet" stepped hard on
Grampa Iverson's toes (Opinion, Dec. 2 & 3). Watch out everyone. When Grampa
Ed is mad, you know what that means - plenty of verbal lashings with his
bully pulpit newspaper column. Take that, you dancing penguins And that, you
secularist Hollywood intoleristas. Stand back and bow low, for Iverson's
wrath is mighty. Heavens. This is what it's come to - diatribes about
cartoon characters? Public whippings for little "Happy Feet?"

Here's a bigger question - where are the happy Christians? You know, the
ones who're supposed to be spreading the good news? Seems all we hear these
days are the protests of punitive paranoiacs like Ed Iverson whose public
purpose is to suck joy out of the world and bear bad witness every chance
they get - including rants about cartoon characters.

Perhaps some of the blame for Iverson's particular sour dourness can be laid
at the un-happy feet of his denomination's own mad grandfather, John Calvin.
His grudge against the Pope fueled the fires of the Reformation some 500
years ago, but he also went so far as to burn alive other reformers who
disagreed with him.

Fortunately for us, Iverson is limited to poison pen letters, and because
they are publicized in our local paper, we have the opportunity to hold his
feet to the fire now and then - but only figuratively - leaving him alive
and free to share more of his dreary religious views with us yet another
day. What a waste - he does look so jolly in his picture.

Rebecca Rod, Moscow

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People walking up to you
Singing glory hallelujah