[Vision2020] Heirdoug's hero

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Thu Dec 7 09:46:52 PST 2006

If Doug's claim that the genealogy in Matthew is historically true,
then the one in Luke is false. Of course, it is possible that both
are false, as honest Christian scholars agree.

I am at a loss to understand what Doug means when he claims that I
"typically" quote Bible verses incompletely. Since the division of
the Bible into chapters and verses is quite arbitrary--they do not
appear in the MSS--it is not always necessary to quote verses in
full. Since I was discussing David, not Jesus, my omission was
perfectly legitimate.

I take it that Doug agrees with me that neither David nor his baby
boy went to heaven when they died.

Vicarious punishment was considered perfectly moral in Bible days.
That is why the LORD killed David's baby boy for his father's sins.
And that is why, according to the Christian religion, God arranged to
have his own son tortured and killed for the sins of others.

As for which or how many books belong in the Bible and thus
constitute the "Word of God," here again the decision is quite
arbitrary. To this day Christians and Jews cannot agree on this
matter. So far be it from me to argue about it.

Ralph

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Dec 7 08:20:08 PST 2006

Lemon-O,

Should you be over-taxing your brain like this before having your
pioneering brain surgery?  Should you be demonstrating how much
functionality your brain has lost?

[1]

You claim that Jesus was descended from David according to Matthew in
your post reproduced below.

There is a small problem with such a claim besides the truth of the
lineage statements found in Matthew and the contradictory lineage
statements found in Luke

<http://virtualreligion.net/primer/Background/lineage.html>.

"Descended from" means that there was a whole series of "begettings"
that started with David and ended with Mary's fruit of the womb,
Jesus.  [I am making the hopeful assumption that you know what
"beget" means, although evidence from your personal life might be
seen to argue otherwise.]

However, the point is simple:  If Jesus is descended from David, then
sly old Joseph must have done some begetting himself with Mary.  If
not, then David's lineage ended with Joseph, not Jesus.  So if Jesus
is descended from David through either of the lineages supplied by
Matthew or Luke (or any other lineage), the claim of a virgin birth
is contradicted since in order to be descended from David through
Joseph, Joseph, like David, must have enjoyed some begetting.

Choose your poison:  Virgin birth or descent from David.  Both cannot
be true, but both could be false.  Merry Christmas.

[2]

Since your mental acuity has apparently suffered such a piteous
decline (hence the urgency of the pending operation) from its former
below average pinnacle, you appeared to have forgotten the concept of
Modus Ponens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_Ponens

Here's how it applies to the story of David:

[a]    If the Bible is completely true, then all statements and
logically valid derivatives of same found in the Bible are true.
[b]    The Bible in the story of David claims that is it OK to punish
someone by hideously torturing and killing some innocent person with
no moral culpability in the issue, e.g. David's son.
[c]    It is not OK to punish someone by hideously torturing and
killing some innocent person with no moral culpability in the issue.
[d]    Therefore, there is at least one set of statements and
logically valid derivatives of same in the Bible which is not true.
[e]    The Bible is not completely true.

If the Bible is not completely true, then the so far unsolved puzzle
remains:  which parts are true (if any), which parts are not, and how
can it be decided beyond a reasonable doubt and beyond fantasy which
is which.

[Doug, I hope you do not mind the use of color above.  They say that
some who suffer from your condition can attend and understand better
if the material they are presented with is written using crayons.]

Again all of us hope that your brain surgery will be a success.
However, you may not know it, but operations done near or during the
holiday season have a lower success rate and a much greater mortality
rate.   But if you live and are able to write coherently, please let
us know when and where to send the get well cards.  In the meantime
you would do well to avoid overtaxing your brain and embarrassing
yourself further.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com

PS:  Is any of your medical expenses going to be paid for by the
Wilson & Family's Christless Crackpot Cult & Cash Machine?  If not,
then maybe a fund raising raffle could be held at the Corner Club.