[Vision2020] Quote of the Day

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Mon Dec 4 09:34:58 PST 2006

"The founders of our nation were suspicious, if not contemptuous, of
government... Today's Americans hold a different vision of government.
It's one that says Congress has the right to do just about anything
upon which it can secure a majority vote. Most of what Congress does
fits the description of forcing one American to serve the purposes of
another American. That description differs only in degree, but not in
kind, from slavery.

At least two-thirds of the federal budget represents forcing one
American to serve the purposes of another. Younger workers are forced
to pay for the prescriptions of older Americans; people who are not
farmers are forced to serve those who are; nonpoor people are forced to
serve poor people; and the general public is forced to serve
corporations, college students and other special interests who have the
ear of Congress... You say, 'Williams, don't you believe in helping
your fellow man?' Yes, I do. I believe that reaching into one's own
pockets to help his fellow man is both laudable and praiseworthy.
Reaching into another's pockets to help his fellow man is despicable
and worthy of condemnation. The bottom line: We love government because
it enables us to accomplish things that if done privately would lead to
arrest and imprisonment."

—Walter Williams

I just wonder how Mr. Williams' description of slavery fits some of
yours?

lemeno, doug!