[Vision2020] Inconvenient Truth -- What WE REALLY HAVE TO DO: " Apollo Project"

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Aug 30 15:00:50 PDT 2006

Ted,

Great timing on your response...

First to clear up something, I did not, and will never advocate raising
gasoline taxes to lower gasoline consumption.  If I remember correctly,
that is Donovan's idea.   Such a tax would destroy low and moderate
income families, the economy, and I believe our nation.  The effect on
personal income and spending power is obvious, unfortunately though the
way American's have developed their communities lower/middle income
families tend to live a long way from their job sites, schools and
shopping facilities.  Think of Latah County alone, a good portion of
commuting residents of Potlatch, Viola, Deary, Troy, Bovill, and Genesee
live in those towns because affordable family housing is not available
in Moscow.   The City's zoning codes, building code, and other various
requirements have made it impossible to develop affordable family
housing.  Great neighborhoods such as the Kenneth/Logan street area,
that were developed in the 40's and 50's for working families.  The
homes were modest, lot sizes were small; however when this neighborhood
was developed small stores were within walking distance.  (Unfortunately
those particular homes are now so expensive that a family with modest
means cannot buy into that area).  This was true for most subdivisions
that were built within town until the late 1970's when the large homes
and lots around Mountain View, Vandal Drive, etc. were constructed.
>From that point forward, homes and lots became larger, tighter zoning
eliminated any neighborhood businesses, and neighborhood design was
based entirely on the need for moving automobiles in and out of the
development.   If you look at census data, you will see that in the mid
1980's lower and middle class families began to move to the rural cities
because these homes were cheaper as was the gasoline needed to get you
to work.  I am one of those guilty parties as well; I just could not
find a decent affordable home for my family within the city.   When I
was a student and single living in Moscow, I had no problem finding
housing that fit my needs, heck the first three years I lived in town I
did not own a car.  I was able to get everywhere I needed just by
walking or biking (I did get hit three times while legally walking on
crosswalks and I was run over twice while biking but that is a different
story)   Long and short, if a town like Moscow (and other American
cities) were to work with developers to change the various regulations
to allow for development of affordable housing near businesses then I
suspect you will slowly see a drop in per capita use of motor fuels,
less destruction of greenspace.  (Otherwise known as Smart Growth  -
which is not a tool to prevent development as many who post on V2020
write).

If local government were to allow the markets to work, I believe they
will.

WARNING

What follows will bore the heck out of any V2020 readers who could care
less about bio-fuels:

On to bio-fuels, I am working on a team who is tasked with a mission of
trying to reduce native village dependence on subsidized power and fuel
supplies.   I will use the village of Fort Yukon as my example.   Fort
Yukon has a population of 574 of which 247 have electrical power.
During FY 2005 (FY 06 data is not out yet) the State of Alaska and the
Bureau of Indian Affairs paid Gwitchyaa Zhee Utilities (GZU) (the F.Y.
power cooperative) $138,092 to help cover the $398,131 of total fuel
needs.  The rest, roughly $0.196 kWh was paid by residential customers.
GZU in FY05 purchased 185,154 gallons of diesel to produce the 2,858,000
KWh needed within the village.  Without the subsidy, F.Y. residents
would have had to pay $0.3436/kWh hour.   GZU would like to replace this
diesel fuel with a locally developed bio-fuel.  Fort Yukon is in a
forested region of the state with an average of 54 tons per acre of
woody biomass that can be utilized for fuel production.  Using a modest
60% recovery of bio-fuel from the wood would result in 64,000 pounds of
bio-fuel.  The bio-fuel's density is about 9 lb/gallon thus giving 7111
gallons recovered per acre.   When you subtract out the characteristics
of the fuel and the amount of energy needed to derive this fuel, you
will have recovered a diesel fuel equivalent of 3500 gallons/acre (I am
using the older technologies that are currently available); which means
that GZU would harvest and process 53 acres a year to supply the
necessary wood to produce all of the fuel needed for the village.
F.Y., the state, and the BLM clear far more than that each year just to
meet the objectives of the Healthy Forest Initiative, defensible space,
etc.   If that land were replanted in natural willows instead of the
dreaded black spruce, the total harvestable biomass will rise from 54
tons/acre to around 90 ton/acre after 20 years of growth.  Assuming a 25
year harvest cycle, Fort Yukon would need to dedicate 1325 acres to
meeting their fuel needs on a sustainable basis.      I have a hunch
Fort Yukon can easily find 1325 acres to set aside for their fuel needs.
>From the economic development perspective, a bio-fuels facility in Fort
Yukon will save taxpayers $3,452,000 in subsides (that is assuming
diesel is at $2.17/gallon) over 25 years and keep an additional
$6,700,000 over 25 years in Fort Yukon that would normally be pocketed
by the oil companies (that amounts to over $27,000 per customer over 25
years).

There are about 110 communities within the 183 communities that are
served by the subsidy program that have sufficient biomass to produce
their own fuels; the remaining communities are investing heavily in wind
energy as they are mostly located along the west and northern coast or
on the Aleutians.

If we carry out our project, 183 communities with a total of 79,178
residents will be entirely self sufficient with regards to energy; $386
million over 25 years no longer needed for subsidies; and $1.5 billion
over 25 years that is kept in the communities and not lost to big oil.
Someone please convince me that bio-fuels are unrealistic!!

Currently, Greenway is in the process of developing the economic model
for Fairbanks, when the report is in I will share it with you.

Ted, you may be right on a national scale; heck I would hate to see the
entire Iowa corn crop turned into ethanol, that would be a waste.
However, if each community were to address their energy needs, change
the way they look at community planning, resource use, economic
development, etc. I suspect that we can eliminate a large percentage of
our need for fossil fuels.

Thanks again,

Chris

"Think Globally, Act Locally",  Rene Dubos, United Nations Conference on
the Human Environment in 1972.