[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Aug 29 08:27:08 PDT 2006

Hi Joe,

Thanks for weighing in.  You raise an interesting example - and I
would probably concede to your point that trying to take over a
political party would raise obstacles that would almost appear
insurmountable.  Of course, there are always going to be those that
push the envelope and break through (Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin et al
come to mind). Their success was relatively short-lived.

But political parties are generally more convoluted than the
corporate enterprise.  It was said that Rockefeller could not be
reined in.  He was.  It was said that the American railroad cartel
would not be constrained - it was.  It was said the IBM would never
relinquish its hold on computers and computer technology - they did
(by a college dropout no less).  It was said that Pan Am would never
lose its hold on international travel - they lost (that was Hughes).
It was said that Sears and Montgomery Ward would dominate retail
forever - they didn't (beat by a relatively uneducated entrepreneur
from Arkansas).  It was said that the major broadcast networks (ABC,
CBS and NBC) would never relinquish their stranglehold on TV
broadcasting - the did (Turner almost did it by himself - from
playboy to tycoon).  Many argued that the US oil industry would
control energy forever - they don't.

It was said that baseball would dominate American sports forever.  It
doesn't.  It was said that the National Football Conference would
never relinquish control of football to the American Football
Conference.  They did.

And so it goes.  This is fundamentally our American heritage.  Want
to have your shot at market dominance and world power - invent a
better mousetrap.

A final point - there are rules of fairplay.  And it is incumbent
upon those who play the game to stay within the rules, but the
borders of the rules will always be tested - you must push to the
limit (and deal with the risks of going over the limits) if you wish
to play in the big pond.

Thanks again for the discussion.