[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 372

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Sun Aug 27 20:03:51 PDT 2006

What if foie gras and abortion were delicacies?  What if they were only
consumed on an "as needed basis"?  Not common-place but maybe as a
"once-in-a-lifetime" event?  Allowing one to experience the un-experienced,
because of "special needs" and always allowing ONE to make the choice this
time as well as the next?  Based upon one's past experience and moral
judgement, what is the best for ME?  It relates to one's own personal growth
and that of a societal growth.  Why should we do as we do - for what purpose
are we striving for?

Not so remotely, this similarly relates to the US gov. (non)acceptance of
allowing pet owners to take their pets with them during Katrina evacuation
efforts.  What is the bond between humans and non-humans?  In a very real
sense it means whatever the INDIVIDUAL perceives more so than any outsiders'
perceptions.  Why should an outsider define my "family."  A fetus can have
as much connection with "family" as can a pet or any viable offspring.
Sorrow and remorse can be felt with all whom ONE defines as family or having
any close connection.  Societal definiton should follow individual
definition.  If society spirals into dispair, it should follow the
individuals' dispair.  Society needs to be subservient to the individual.
That is how society should be defined.  Not the individual by society.  I
prefer that the small define the large.  Otherwise the small gets assigned.
The large may guide the small, but should not dictate.  Else the large
becomes the small.

Mark

mark r. seman, architect
v=928.925.7617   f=928.776.9107