[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 372

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Sun Aug 27 18:32:24 PDT 2006

D-
Saundra did not e-mail me, she doesn't even know me. A friend of mine
who was saw Saundra's message on the Vision2020 site forwarded it to
me because they knew I was interested in animal rights, and foie gras
is quite a hot issue in the animal rights movement right now because
Chicago banned it in April. So please don't make accusations against
her for bringing the issue to the attention of residents in Moscow
because she wanted me to react this way. You sure seem to enjoy
making assumptions.

I appreciate your constructive criticism of my and PETA's activist
tactics, but I assure you that I am more interested in educating the
people of Moscow what foie gras is and showing them the cruelty
behind it than picking on a specific business. West of Paris just
happens to be the only place that serves/served foie gras in this
town, in case you hadn't noticed. I don't mean to "undermine" the
economic fabric of Moscow, nor attack anyone for their religion. If
that's the reason people boycott it, well so be it, but how is that
my fault? Objecting foie gras doesn't seem that outlandish to me, it
seems like a damn good reason to protest actually. But maybe that's
just me...

Just because I work for an organization does not mean that I agree
with every tactic of every campaign... but I do support what PETA
does and I think their mission is noble, consistent, and necessary in
this world. They're not trying to dehumanize human beings by pointing
out similarities between the way the Nazis treated Jews and the way
our society treats animals, they are just asking people to widen
their circle of compassion just a bit and open their eyes to the
needless suffering of animals. I thought Kelsey did a very good job
of answering your concern on the show this morning, with a beautiful
quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. to illustrate her point. Just for
the record, she also mentioned that she is Christian and that she has
a friend who attends CC... not everyone opposing foie gras in this
town has ulterior motives.

PETA's campaigns are basically putting democracy in action, and I
know a lot of their marketing techniques are risque or
confrontational, but they approach the problem from many angles, and
I believe that's what works. From the very local and small restaurant
serving a particularly cruel dish to the biggest animal testing
corporation in the country, change happens from the bottom up as well
as the top down. I have been involved in voicing my concerns about
factory farming and other animal rights issues to my senators and
representatives, to major corporations, etc. Sometimes activists must
pick their battles, and this may be one of the first of many local
issues animal rights activists and Compassion Speaks will address.
We'd certainly love any help & support we can get, because there's an
awful lot of work to be done. :)

Anyhow, I appreciate the apology, thank you.
~megan

Megan,

I do owe you an apology. I was incorrect to assume that you are doing
this because you disagree with a man's religion. It is clear to me
now that was not your intent. However, it was the intent of the
person that notified you by email of the Foli Gras. That person
notified you in the hopes that you would respond in the way that you
have.

I hope you are aware, the person that emailed you that email was
doing so in an attempt to pit you up against a group of people she
has dedicated a great deal of her time and energies against. You will
also find that a great deal of the people that are supporting your
cause are only doing so because they dislike and want to cause harm
to a man and his business just because of his chosen religious
affiliations. In effect, you are being used for someone else's
sinister and discriminatory purposes. I think it is unfortunate they
are using you for that purpose and you are allowing them to just to
get new members and any type of support. It is kind of like if you
were protesting a business man that also happened to be Black, would
you want the KKK tagging along too? I think not. I think you are best
served by axing not attaching this people to your group that are in
it for other reasons.

I think fighting to lessen animal suffering is a noble and worthy
cause, I don't think anyone is going to disagree with that. Where I
disagree with you is not what you are trying to do, but how you are
attempting to achieve those goals. My point of making the claims
against all Moscow eating establishments and food service companies
being involved of animal cruelty was not a plea that you protest all
meat serving restaurants but to point out the futility of your
strategy that will not result in the outcome that you want.

Not one duck will be saved for boycotting or threatening a local
businessman, and it hurts that business and Moscow to be boycotted
and is unfair to single one out when all establishments are
committing the same offense. There is more demand for the duck then
supply, in fact, suppliers cannot even keep up.

The goal should be to get everyone in Moscow on board, here and all
over Idaho to change laws regarding the treatment of animals, for the
animals interests, the environment, and the health of the consumers.
Calling Idahoans who hunt and fish Nazis and murderers, and raising
the level of import of the slaughter of mindless cattle to the
equivalency of the Jewish Holocaust I think is an offensive tactic
that turns people away from helping you and accomplishing your goals.

I don't think you are a hypocrite Megan. But I think myself and
anyone else that says torturing a duck is wrong so don't eat at West
of Paris, but they then go and eat meat, which undoubtedly did come
from a slaughter house elsewhere, is a hypocrite.

I think focusing in on the misery of one animal, like a fish,
chicken, or a duck, is a bad idea. I think focusing in on all the
animals, and working to make a change as a whole, on a legislative
level, that improves the overall conditions, is the way to go. I
think you will find that a popular idea among even meat eaters.
Asking people to boycott West of Paris, but ignoring the same
mistreatment of other animals they eat is asking people to be
hypocrites, sadly, many Doug Wilson obsessives  will comply, but not
many others.

And thanks for taking my call on Tim's show. I appreciated having the
opportunity to talk to you in person.

Best,

_DJA

Megan Prusynski <megan at meganpru.com> wrote:
Donovan,
I really don't appreciate your accusation that I am choosing to "pick
on" West of Paris because of Mr. Foucachon's connection with NSA/
Christ Church. As I mentioned on the show, I found out about the foie
gras and voiced my opinion against it before I even knew where the
restaurant was or who it was associated with. Do not start putting
words in my mouth or call me a hypocrite, that is just rude.

I am not trying to single out this restaurant for any other reason
than that they had foie gras on the menu. I find it to be a
particularly cruel and unnecessary practice, although cruelty is
rampant throughout the meat industry, foie gras sticks out to me for
a number of reasons. One is that it is completely unnecessary. As my
good friend Kelsey pointed out on the show, people can argue that
eating meat is necessary for survival (I don't believe this, but
people can argue it), and it is clear that foie gras, which is a
delicacy, is NOT necessary. Secondly, I find it particularly
appalling, and one of the more gruesome aspects of factory farming,
and I have never heard of it being served here, so I thought with the
restaurant just opening up that it would be an opportune time to let
them know that foie gras is not welcomed by members of the community.
Certainly even meat-eaters or people not normally concerned with
animal rights can attest to the fact that this is unnecessary cruelty.

Also, as mentioned on the radio interview, we ARE making efforts to
protest other restaurants, and protested in front of KFC twice in the
last year because the way they raise their chickens is exceptionally
cruel. I personally advocate vegetarianism at any opportunity and
don't support the meat industry in any way shape or form, but in this
town there are no places offering ONLY vegetarian food, so I have to
eat somewhere, and the Co-op is a far better alternative (and one of
the only places I can get organic produce) than any other grocery
store in my opinion, so I shop there, and they do have more options
for us herbivores than any other store in Moscow. Also, Compassion
Speaks, the student animal rights group, just started last year and
hasn't had much of a chance to recruit a large number of people yet,
so we will certainly make an effort to branch out and protest the
meat industry at large. But I think it's pretty unrealistic to assume
we can protest every business selling meat and actually get them to
discontinue it. Foie gras, because it is a delicacy and very
expensive, isn't nearly as big of a deal to remove from a menu, we
simply want to let West of Paris know that there are some in the
community that don't support the practice of force-feeding animals
and inducing liver disease. Also, it's a great way to educate people
about what foie gras is (many don't even know) and use this issue to
bring larger animal rights issues into the forefront and open
people's eyes. Hopefully we will have many more protests,
demonstrations, etc. to follow that keep animal rights issues in
discussion. You are certainly welcome to e-mail Kelsey at
compassionspeaks at hotmail.com and join us at KFC. :)

For you to insinuate that I am "singling out" Mr. Foucachon is just
ludicrous, and I do hope that you will consider apologizing for your
accusation that I am discriminating against him.

By the way, thank you for calling in, as I am pretty sure that was you.

peace!
~megan

Message: 3