[Vision2020] Fwd: Is there a correlation between "Fore Gras"Killing Babies!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 16:21:42 PDT 2006

One key concept in all this for me is not whether there are pain
receptors, but whether or not the creature is aware of it's situation.
Killing animals inhumanely is bad, because the animals we are killing
are aware enough of the killing to cause them distress.  We don't seem
to mind killing trees or cabbages, because as far as we know they have
no awareness of their plight.  We kill microorganisms by the millions
when we brush our teeth, but that doesn't seem to bother us.

Of course, awareness can't be the only criteria, because then it would
be ok to kill someone in their sleep or to immediately take the life of
people who fall into comas.  So you have to call it something like
"being capable of being aware of" or something.  And that leads to the
sticky question of potential.  A fetus is potentially a being that will
become aware of itself in the future.  But how far do you take that
concept?  Is it wrong to ejaculate without intercourse because you are
killing millions of potential humans?  Or even to decide to abstain from
sex, ultimately killing the unique individual that might have resulted
from it?

You also have the added complication of the fetus being part of the
mother until birth.  No one disputes the mother's right to have a kidney
removed.  So when does the fetus become it's own self that is separate
from the mother?

I think there are too many variables to try to come up with one simple
rule that will work for everyone.  I certainly don't have any answers
myself.  I will say that it is inhumane to force-feed captive geese for
their over-fattened livers.  By the same logic, it's inhumane to
restrict the movement of calves to keep their meat tender before killing
them, so no veal for me either.

At what point it's inhumane to abort a fetus, I have no idea.  However,
I don't see why so many people want to make the choice once for everybody.

Paul