[Vision2020] Big Government

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 27 08:41:34 PDT 2006

>From Bob Schieffer's commentary on this morning's (August 27, 2006) "Face
the Nation -

Big Government
By Bob Schieffer

I love the news, but Friday night it made me sick.

I had talked that afternoon with Dr. Norman Francis, head of the Louisiana
Recovery Authority, who told me he thought New Orleans is probably more
vulnerable to a hurricane than ever.

Say what you will, New Orleans is still a mess. Officials at all levels are
still groping with how to get federal funds to washed out homeowners, how to
get FEMA trailers in Arkansas to people who need them, and how to get more
schools open. More than half the schools in the city are still closed.

Byron Pitts asked New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin about it on Friday's Evening
News. Basically he said "get over it", noting that New York still hasn't
covered up what he called "the hole" caused by the 9/11 attack.

Arrogance is galling enough, but it was the next story by Allen Pizzey that
really set me off. He reported that Hezbollah agents are on the streets of
Southern Lebanon handing out U.S. dollars to people whose homes were bombed
out.

One year after Katrina and we can't figure out how to get money to people
who lost their homes in New Orleans, we're still not sure if it can survive
another hurricane but a terrorist group has figured out how to get American
money to the homeless in Lebanon?

Talk about threats to national security - how about government so big, so
complicated and so unmanageable, it can't get out of its own way?

That's what scares me.

It's all a matter of priorities.  Apparently homeless families in New
Orleans simply aren't worth consideration; at least not to the Bush
administration.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"In America, anybody can become president.
That's one of the risks you take . . ."

- Adlai Stevenson