[Vision2020] Critical Mass, A Public Menace! Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:48:43 PDT 2006

Ted,

I have no interest in making a point about sharing roads with bikes from
either a body cast or the little urn where my ashes would reside.  That's
why I try to stay as close to the curb as I can while riding in the correct
lane.  I'm not looking to put myself at greater harm.  I try to show
consideration to drivers and hope they show me the same.

I agree that car and truck drivers should share the road with bike riders.
I don't think we can make them do so by blocking the road.  You're talking
about the attitude people ought to have, and I'm saying that taking the
actions you describe won't get people to agree with you.  That's my opinion,
and I may be wrong.  I think other methods of education are more likely to
get drivers to respect the rights of bike riders to share the road.

I do think that car drivers can get irrationally angry when faced with an
effort like Critical Mass.  I think you know I'm not endorsing or defending
that attitude.  I'm just saying it exists.  If a bike rider gets angry with
others for wasting resources by driving, and decides to try and run the cars
off the road, I know who's going to win, at least 99 times out of 100.
Perhaps the one other time the car might swerve to avoid hitting the bike
rider, but I'm not betting those odds.

As for 95, I think extra lanes will make the drive safer.  If it leads to
economic expansion, I don't object to that.  Right now there are few places
where people can safely pass.  Dangerous passing is a risk to everyone in
the vicinity, and four lanes will mitigate that risk.  In the years I
commuted daily, I often saw dangerous passing.  Those drivers don't just
remove themselves from the gene pool; they often take others with them, or
worse, send them along while remaining with us.  I'm glad the expansion is
taking place.

Sunil