[Vision2020] Critical Mass, A Public Menace! Inconvenient Truth -- What WE gonna do

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 14:01:29 PDT 2006

Ted,

I lived in Davis, CA, before I moved here, and didn't have a car till I was
in my early 30s.  I biked most places, which was easy in Davis, because
there are bike lanes on most roads and it's flat. A twelve-pack of beer fit
neatly in the basket of my Beach Cruiser, and my groceries went in my
backpack.   I think Moscow would benefit from more bike lanes. I agree with
you that we should use our bikes more.

However, I don't think bike riders gain anything by riding in the middle of
the lane to make a point; they just piss off drivers.  Angry drivers don't
appreciate the point the bikers want to make, they just want to beat their
heads in.  I doubt it was necessary to have all the police officers in town
following you, unless they were there to stop the afore-mentioned
head-beating.

I also think bike riders should stay off the sidewalks whenever possible.  I
believe it's legal to ride on the sidewalk in Moscow, though I don't think
it should be.  Leave the sidewalks for pedestrians.  I'd make an exception
for children, but that's it; adults should be on the road.

Davis has required greenbelts with bike paths in newer developments for
years, and you're able to get into town from some of the distant
neighhborhoods without needing to get on the roads, and without having to go
far out of your way.  That requires planning, but I have enjoyed using them
on trips back to Davis, and I'll bet parents are happy their kids are able
to use them instead of having to be on the roads.

I'm not sure the extra lanes on 95 between here and Lewiston will increase
traffic; I think the road will be safer when people are able to pass without
having to get into an oncoming lane of traffic.  There are always going to
be some people who live up here and work down there (or vice versa) who
don't want to move closer to where they work.  $10/gallon gas might change
their minds, or they may take advantage of public transport and keep living
where they are.

Sunil