[Vision2020] Line and 6th

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Aug 22 07:48:46 PDT 2006

One problem at the center of this issue is the value question of which is more important:  The risk to pedestrian (and vehicular) safety or increased vehicular throughput.

When I was very young, I lived in an area where safety was given a very high priority.  This commitment was backed by signage and LEO enforcement with citations.  Perhaps now more people are more "me-oriented" with a higher concern for completing their tasks in a given time period than they are about the safety and activities of others.  Have our values changed so that for many the importance of safety at D and Mountain View (and other risky intersections) is not a big concern for many.

The crosswalk near Tri-State continues being a problem.  Yesterday a very visible pedestrian was almost hit by a motorist who apparently decided that if he honked his horn it was alright to speed through the crosswalk.

Because of the construction there is more traffic on Main through downtown.  Pedestrians need to be aware of the increased peril by impatient drivers.

Part of this issue may also related to having a blasé city manager who does not live in the city, hence does not make the observations the residents do, does not seem to care as much as some residents do, and does not have to face the comments of his neighbors about the city when he goes home.

W.