[Vision2020] Celebrate freedom, kick a flag--burner's ass!

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 06:53:56 PDT 2006

Tom,

 If someone burns a flag of a country, nation or group of  people,  I consider it an act of aggression and/or  ill will  towards those people. I responded that way when several of my  senatorial colleagues in ASUI burned the Gay Straight Alliance Flag--as  did many others.

 If someone protests against a war or  action of the US within the US they can do so without burning a flag,  spitting on US Soldiers, or destroying public or private property.

  So yes, I think someone that burns a US Flag should be watched more  carefully, and I think they are people that are disrespecting the  United States and all the people in it. I consider an attack on a US  Naval ROTC Building an attack on the US--especially one that my Dad was  attending during the 60s.

  Best,

  _DJA

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:              v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}              st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                    Arnold stated:

    &#8220;It is easier to find those that  hate and wish real harm to the United    States if you allow them to burn a flag.&#8221;

    Are you suggesting that all those students  and anti-war protestors during Vietnam  hated and wished real harm to the United States,  Arnold?

    Campuses (just to name a few) at:

    University of Virginia

    University of California at Berkeley

    Kent State University

    UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO
    (Be careful here, Arnold.  My wife attended UI during the late 60&#8217;s.  Yes.  There were  major demonstrations which included (on one occasion burning a US  flag and an attempt to burn down the Navy ROTC building)

    Thoughts?

  "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

  - Thomas Jefferson