[Vision2020] Celebrate freedom, kick a flag--burner's ass!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 21:19:18 PDT 2006

I'm sure you've heard all these reasons before, but I'll outline a few
just in case you've missed them.

- Burning the American flag falls under Freedom of Speech.  Yes, it's
not "speech" per se, but the courts have extended the concept of
"speech" to cover most forms of expression, not just the spoken word.

- Freedom of Speech is not a piecemeal concept.  It has to be all or
nothing.  The minute you start limiting it, it's usefulness in all areas
goes right out the door.  Look at "hate speech".  This concept is
becoming broader by the second in our PC society.

- Burning a flag is an expression of dissent.  Of all types of speech,
the expressions of dissent are in most need of protection.  Without it,
you have  a tyrrany.

- Freedom is difficult.  If you give someone the freedom to say whatever
they like, they may say something that annoys or disgusts or offends
you.  That is the price of freedom.  For example, I wish that people
would stop burning the American flag; it just leads to emotion-driven
reactions instead of rational, thoughtful reactions.  However, they have
the right to express their dissent in whatever way they choose whether I
like it or not.  Freedom is worth it, though.

- Even if you can in no way think that this administration has done
anything that people should be making such politically-charged
statements like burning the flag, what about the next one?  Or the
next?  What if your worst nightmare came into office?  I don't know for
you if that's Hillary Clinton, Butch Otter, the Antichrist, or Marilyn
Manson - but whoever it is, what if you did not have the freedom to
express your dissent?  What if they changed all the rules and made this
country into whatever it is you fear they will make it into?

- Being a patriot does not mean cowtowing to whoever is in charge.  What
if our founding fathers thought that way?  The Constitution is a
document of checks and balances.  Freedom of Speech and the Right to
Bear Arms are two powerful tools we have been given to use as checks
against a government that might get out of control.

- Assaulting someone (or is it battery?  I get them confused) is orders
of magnitude worse than an expression of dissent.  There you are
treading on the rights of another individual.  The fact that you don't
see an overwhelming difference between the two of them frightens me.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others.  I'm also sure you actually agree
with some of them to some extent or you wouldn't be proud to live here.

Paul

-