[Vision2020] 2006 Governor's Summit on Aging (fwd)

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Sun Aug 20 14:21:30 PDT 2006

2006 Governor's Summit on Aging
sponsored by the Idaho Commission on Aging

September 12-13, 2006

Boise Centre on the Grove

The Coming of Age: A Dialogue on the Dynamics of an Aging Population

Full details & registration information at
http://www.idahoaging.com/abouticoa/index.htm
<http://www.idahoaging.com/abouticoa/index.htm>  (copy and paste address
into browser)

Many people have an image of aging that may be 20 years out of date. The
end result of this summit dialogue should not only be a better
understanding of the issues but a clearer perception of how our lives
can be improved if we focus on adapting public policy and planning for
the years ahead.

“The social and economic implications of an aging population – and of
the baby boom in particular – are likely to be profound for both
individuals and society.”

                        Louis Kincannon, Census Bureau Director

Summit Agenda

During this Summit you will choose from 40 sessions and panel
discussions, have two luncheon speakers, a keynote speaker and be a
participant at the closing plenary session.

DAY 1

Focus 1 Sessions - Economic Impacts ~ “DEMOGRAPHY IS NOT DESTINY”

This track will explore Idaho/world economy, senior markets consumerism,
demographics, impact of aging on community resources, cost of health
care, building new community resources, community needs (transportation,
planning/zoning), productivity and contributions of aging, and much
more.

Focus 2 Sessions - Workplace Issues ~ “RECASTING AND REWIRING” This
track will explore how to respond to the aging population in the
workplace, intergenerational differences, flexibility, career retooling,
succession planning, workforce retention, rehiring, phased retirement,
accommodations, post retirement jobs labor market, and much more.

DAY 2

Focus 3 Sessions - Financial Planning ~ “WHAT WILL I NEED IF I LIVE TO
BE 100” This track will explore education, financial literacy,
investment fraud/exploitation, conservatorships, Long Term Care
financing, benefits, returning to work, income security, retirement
planning, and much more.

Focus 4 Sessions - Beyond Work and Money ~ “MYTH BUSTERS”

This track will explore the realities of a quality life, such as: life
long learning, social connections, changing family dynamics, community
and civic involvement, recreation/leisure, volunteerism, difficult
decisions, aging and meaning, and much more.

WE CAN SHAPE OUR DESTINY BY DEFINING OUR GOALS, PREPARING A  PLAN,
CHANGING HABITS, and TAKING ACTION