[Vision2020] local language courses

Kenneth Marcy kmmos at verizon.net
Fri Aug 18 14:27:42 PDT 2006

On Thursday 17 August 2006 6:30 pm, Paul Rumelhart wrote:
> Does anyone know of any places locally that teach foreign languages,
> apart from the U of I?  I have nothing against taking a course at UI, I
> just know about this option already.  I'm interested in learning
> japanese to converse in, as well as to read and write.  I've started
> learning on my own, but it's a daunting language.
>
> More options would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Seeking a qualified local instructor is the best learning option, if such is
available. Though I don't know of any such person(s), I do know that as of an
hour or so ago TJ's Used Books store, 205 S. Almon St., had about a foot long
section of shelf space with Japanese language books on it. Perhaps something
there might be useful to you (as might a magnifying glass to see the details
clearly).

The way infants learn a language is to first hear it, then, after a critical
mass of connections is made between Wernicke's area and Broca's area in the
brain, to try to vocalize the language. Analogously, way to learn for adults
would be to use products such as Pimsleur's or Rosetta Stone's Japanese
language CD's to first hear, and then to vocalize what's heard. Reading, as a
secondary input method, and writing, as a secondary output method, can come
later, as they do for youngsters.

Ken Marcy