[Vision2020] Hey Sports fans, football is now being played in Barrow

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Aug 16 15:36:38 PDT 2006

Hi V2020 Sports fans,

Care to convince Moscow High School they ought to add this to their
football team's travel plans?  Bring the band!

Fairbanks Daily News Miner

Aug 16, 5:24 PM EDT

High school football comes to Barrow for first time

BARROW, Alaska (AP) -- A light dusting of snow Wednesday failed to
dampen the anticipation among participants of the first-ever high school
football game taking place this weekend in the nation's northernmost
town.

The Barrow Whalers will play their opening game against the visiting
Delta Junction Huskies on Saturday.

The game will be held on a dirt and gravel field a couple miles from
Barrow, a city of 4,500. It's basically a vacant parcel near the Chukchi
Sea, where polar bears have been sighted on ice bergs in the past.

With temperatures predicted to fall as low as 30 degrees, heated school
buses will be available for both teams, said Barrow coach Mark Voss.
There are no stands, but fans are expected to ring the playing area or
watch from their cars.

"We've been practicing hard in all types of weather and are as ready as
we are going to get," Voss said.

High school junior Michael Gonzales plays center and said that position
can be tough in arctic weather.

"Sometimes it is a little hard to grip the ball when your fingers and
hands are getting numb," he said, "but I am getting used to it."

Take Care,

Chris