[Vision2020] Skewed War-Zone Priorities

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Aug 15 11:42:19 PDT 2006

>From the "Letters" section of the August 21, 2006 edition of the Army Times
-

Skewed war-zone priorities

The priority of resources here in Iraq has been completely lost on the
senior leadership of the Army.

It is easier for us in Ramadi to get ice cream than it is to get repair
parts for our overused M1114 Humvees.

On a recent trip to Logistical Support Area Anaconda, I saw numerous
vehicles that looked almost brand new, while we in the Sunni Triangle are
issued M1114s full of trash. Many of our so-called new vehicles require
major overhauls as soon as we get them. Transmissions leak, engines seize
and the turrets do not work. Meanwhile, the major logistical bases have
sport utility vehicles and 24-hour swimming pools.

We claw our way through maintenance and have to piece together our existing
fleet of vehicles every day. My platoon’s M1114s are in constant use and
face the enemy on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, units whose vehicles rarely see any combat have top-of-the-line
parts. The condition of the vehicles we are issued is almost criminal. What
are the logistical support people doing at these sprawling LSAs to assist
those of us who are actually doing the fighting?

To make a difference, they should have some sort of combat service and
support outposts located within a reasonable distance of where the war is
being fought. Why do I have to send my soldiers and vehicles to some distant
LSA for major repairs? This takes valuable assets away from the fight.

If one is worried about depot-level repair facilities coming under mortar
fire, consider this: Our small number of mechanics here are overwhelmed with
the sheer volume of work they have to do. They perform their duties while
being mortared almost daily, and numerous times a day at that.

The problem is getting major end items on a timely basis. Get rid of the ice
cream and soda convoys, and start sending us the things we need to fight and
win.

Before everyone cries about morale, welfare and recreation, remember what we
need to accomplish our mission: ammunition, water, food and repair parts.
Now we receive things for our comfort rather than our survival.

I will give up my ice cream and Internet café for some combat-ready vehicles
and equipment.

Sgt. 1st Class David M. Phillips
Ramadi, Iraq

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.