[Vision2020] Public Works Meeting

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 23:52:55 PDT 2006

I watched the PW Committee meeting today and wondered just who the City
Staff thinks they work for.  It certainly did not look like they were
working for the safety and/or good will for the citizens.  When the
discussion turned to a need for a four-way Stop sign on "D" and Mt. View, it
got kinda muddled as to why it was such a question - the safety of the
children and drivers who use that intersection SHOULD be the primary
concern.  But even the Mayor seemed to think that the three or four people
who spoke up for the Stop sign were off base.  And Walter Steed had some
interesting notes but even he seemed confused about his stand - 40(+) people
in the space of 45min for one intersection is nothing to ignore and yet he
thinks it is.

The fact that several people pointed out there are now four/five different
places of congregating children and families in that immediate area should
dictate the City needs to be cognizant of the safety issue that people face
every day at that intersection.  As two people pointed out, the area is
expanding and more people are moving into the area almost daily.  All this
does is increase the traffic in and out of the area and it should make sense
to people that that traffic needs to be better controlled.

I would hope the entire City Counsel saw it as the Committee Members seemed
to feel - the need is there and it would behoove the City to, for once, use
preventative medicine BEFORE we have a child or car flattened.

BTW - did anyone realize that the speed limit on that road is 35mph!?  Seems
a might fast to me.  Especially considering there are children in that area
rather heavily during a major part of the year and during the daytime.

J  :]