[Vision2020] Nick, Saundra and the Princess

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Aug 14 17:35:54 PDT 2006

I'd like to think, Tony, that my heart is in the right place even when
defending people who aren't my friends...

You say I reciprocated un-Christlike and snotty behavior in addressing the
Princess.  Really?  "Princess LackingHuevos" really got to you, huh?  Do you
think that perhaps a precedent in silly namecalling was set by me or by the
one who embraces "Princess Sushitushi" in his/her writing?  I acknowledge
having a serrated edge up my sleeve at times, but I only employ it when
responding to the brethren, and only when they set the tone.

Second, I am a former newspaper reporter and a third-generation print
journalist.  Very few of the "mainstream media" rely on anonymous sources
for most of their reporting, although the bloggers tend to regurgitate a lot
of whatever gets through their Internet connections.  Attribution is
hammered into the press from the beginning; no one takes seriously
information relayed by the reporter who can't or won't tell where she/he got
it from.  This means that I don't report, for example, that Tony Simpson is
Conservative Thought Czar of the Clearwater Valley -- instead, I, as a
journalist, would report that former CTC of the CV Bud Blatherholler had
anointed him thusly at the group's annual convention.  The "who, what, when,
where, and why" doesn't get to be dreamed up by the reporter; the reporter
gathers the five Ws from sources, almost all of whom are identified almost
all of the time.  There are, of course, exceptions, but anonymity as a rule
just doesn't cut it in the reputable media.

Now, I realize you don't care one whit what I think or say about the media
-- it's just that I owe it to my dad and grandfather to try to defend the
press against rabid haters of "the mainstream media."  I may be funny that
way, but I prefer to get my news through the MSM than through the
blogosphere, especially given Dale Courtney's recent -- nay, perennial --
missteps in the field of truth-seeking and news reporting.

But hey, that's just me.  And you certainly are entitled to rely on whatever
sources you want -- but as a defender of ultimate truth and standards of
behavior, you might want to examine your bias a bit more carefully.

keely