[Vision2020] Old Moscow Reservoir

Janesta Carcich janestacarcich at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 21:38:51 PDT 2006

In 1969, when I was a freshman at MJHS, Robinson Lake,
was a lake. In the summer, it had water from side to
side. It was shallow, and would freeze almost solid in
winter. We would drive over gravel roads from Mt. View
Road, to the lake on a weekend night. *blushing
crimson* It was one of many now, long gone but never
forgotten “Lover’s Lanes” that were within a decent
driving distance from town. Not many roads were paved
back then. Mt. View was gravel from the Troy Highway
to Moscow Mountain. Styner Avenue, where Dr.Jerry
Weitz's office is not, was a horrible washboard this
time of year. The fine clay dust was thick driving to
work in summer, we always prayed for rain.

If I recall correctly, Robinson Lake began to fill
with silt, soon it was little more than a creek, and
it was frequently a large problem to dredge it out.
Why it was a problem, I don’t remember. Soon, the
"powers that be" decided to let it fill up, and make a
park out of it.

Once a VERY long time ago, I believe it was Howard
Gustin, or one his brothers (there were 4-6 Gustin
brothers) and friends drove ha Model A out onto the
ice of Robinson Lake in mid-winter. Apparently it
wasn't enough of a mid-winter, as the ice began to
crack, men scrambled from the car, fleeing to shore.
Tripping, out of breath, hunkering over, gasping,
breath fog surrounded their heads
 glancing up,
smacking a knee
 steel toe boots kick a duvet in snow,
Man-roar cries and groans muffled by cracking ice, a
crunching slash. They watched as the lovely car broke
the ice, and sank to the bottom of the lake. Winter
passed, turning into spring, then summer... finally,
the lake was warm enough to look for the car.......
but there wasn’t one, one that they could find!  It
was covered in silt... from what I understand, they
looked all summer for that car. Howard, or one of the
4-6 brothers, the one who drove the car on the ice,
was later was the Deary Marshall. *soft chuckle*

So, to answer your question, please read paragraph
two.

Janesta Carcich

Please forgive my poetic license. Believe it or not,
the car going through the ice at Robinson Lake, is
legend in some Latah County circles.