[Vision2020] Minimum wage

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 11:00:25 PDT 2006

Weitz wrote:

"Raising the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.15 will not help in real
inflation adjusted buying power..."

This statement is not quite correct.  It also seems to not face the
realities of those living at the bottom of the wage scale, where a dollar an
hour increase is a huge increase in buying power for the basics of life:
food, gasoline, rent.  Someone at this moment in time who receives this wage
increase can better afford the recent increases in gasoline costs, for
example, which add to inflation.  This would help to address buying power in
real terms right now.

Also, you pick the example of France to prove your points, while not
mentioning the county next door, with the highest minimum wage in the nation
at $7.63 an hour, now tagged by law to increase with the rate of inflation.
If a high minimum wage is so counter production to economic success,
Pullman, and Washington State, should be economically worse off than Moscow
and Idaho.

Which county and state has the higher average household income by a large
margin?  Washington State does have a higher unemployment rate than Idaho,
but this may be due to economic and social factors not caused by the minimum
wage.  France has some indicators of social well being that are better than
the USA.  It is easy to slant how an economic analysis views the well being
of a population by cherry picking what is or not important to suit a bias.

I know the issue is immensely complex, but to just dismiss the idea of the
possible value of raising the minimum wage by a comparison with France seems
like an obvious attempt to cherry pick examples to prove your points.

Perusing this analysis from 1991 of social well being and other economic
indicators, assuming accuracy, reveals that some other nations with a higher
tax rate and more government regulation do exceed the USA in the overall
well being of their populations.  Economic conservatives no doubt will
dismiss this analysis:

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/8Comparison.htm

Ted Moffett