[Vision2020] Too Much Nonsense

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 09:53:41 PDT 2006

Roger et. al.

I agree for the most part with your post.

And before I hear about the delete key, or other e-mail management tactics,
this is not the point.  The point is to comment on topics or threads that
perhaps should not dominate the list, while other important topics or
threads are ignored.  When important topics are ignored, and irrelevant
nonsense promoted, it does degrade the list, and can lower substantive
participation.

I recently posted information on the Climate Protection Agreement that was
recently signed by members of the US Conference of Mayors.  I asked if
Moscow mayor Nancy Cheney signed.  There was one response on the list
discussing ways Moscow can address climate change, but no answer about
Cheney.  Cheney may not read Vision2020, or she may have decided she does
not want to post, given the abusive conduct on this list.

Regarding your request for less religious discussion, though I agree with
many of the critics of certain religious institutions, the critics conduct
is sometimes redundant and tiresome.  I have read countless times on
Vision2020 that Greg Dickison once advocated death for gays, etc.  I suppose
there is a point in posting this fact over and over for emphasis, or for
those who do not know this fact, but most of us already know this well
publicized information.  Most of us also already know that New Saint Andrews
is not the center of academic excellence on the planet, that their faculty
lacks sufficient academic credentials.  This has been posted over and over
and over.  It seems the individuals posting this information over and over
and over have a serious axe to grind against NSA, etc.  Well, perhaps I
agree with this axe grinding, but perhaps a new approach to grinding this
axe would be productive?

Religious discussion does have a place on Vision2020, in my opinion, but the
repetitious posting of the same criticisms of NSA and Christ Church by the
same subscribers wears thin.

Also, while certain Vision2020 subscribers who post often seem to annoy the
hell out of many other subscribers, who then post very personalized attacks,
why do those who are so annoyed keep egging on those who annoy them with
frequent replies?  Is this to provide a provocative and colorful content to
keep the list engaging?  I suppose there is a point to this approach, but
personally I find it boring as hell, especially when a simple question about
whether Moscow's mayor signed an agreement that was signed by numerous
mayors across the US on a climate protection agreement is ignored.

Donovan Arnold's posts seem to generate analysis on the list that would
boggle the mind of Sigmund Freud, while other worthwhile topics are
bypassed.

http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/climate/PDF/USCM_SignatureOnly_02.27.06.pdf

Ted Moffett