[Vision2020] Democracy, Islam & Terrorism: Was: An Iraqi Veteran's Testimony

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 10:00:51 PDT 2006

Dick et. al.

Questions and facts:

Isn't Turkey, a mostly Muslim nation, now considered a democracy, though not
without problems?

Why do we keep hearing that there are no Islamic democracies?  I am not
saying I support trying to bomb a nation into a democracy, as we did in
Iraq.

http://www.meforum.org/article/216

--------
Who engineered a coup against Mossadegh, a democratically elected prime
minister of Iran, in 1953?  What sort of ruler did the US then support in
Iran?  Is this connected to current hatred and mistrust of the US in Iran?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/hornberger/hornberger21.html

The USA undermined the beginnings of a democratic Iran in 1953, and
installed a brutal dictator, thus helping to lay the foundation for an
extremist Islamic rule.
--------
What nationality were 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizers_of_the_September_11,_2001_attacks

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/08/15/attacks.suit/

Given that 15 were Saudi nationals, and the evidence of substantial funding
coming from within Saudi Arabia for Al Quada, why was it implied by the US
government that Saddam was linked to Al Queda and 9/11, rather than Saudi
Arabia?
--------
The 9/11 commission found that Saddam and Iraq were not supporting Al
Quada.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5223932/
--------

It seems our invasion of Iraq has turned Iraq into an anti-US terrorist
training ground, when before Iraq had little or no connection to the Al
Queda related Islamic extremists who carried out 9/11.  So our invasion was
a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts, turning Iraq into a terrorist training
ground for anti-US Islamicists.  As the anonymous (now identified) CIA
expert who wrote the book "Imperial Hubris" phrased it, the US invasion of
Iraq was a "Christmas gift to Bin Laden:"

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multipage/documents/03949394.asp

Mission accomplished!  But not as this presidential speech spinned:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/05/20030501-15.html

Why do the supporters of the US invasion of Iraq hardly ever emphasize that
what is driving much of the insurgency in Iraq is the basic impulse of any
culture to repel the domination of another culture seeking to impose their
will or way of life?  Is it accurate to label this "terrorism?"

Remember, George Washington was called a terrorist by the British!

Ted Moffett