[Vision2020] Housing Density, et al. (was: Climate Protection)

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Tue Aug 8 21:35:34 PDT 2006

Kit,
In addition to zoning limitations on heights, the building code also sets
height (and area) limitations based on constuction type (level fire
resistive construction & whether or not there's incorporation of fire
suppression systems.)  Generally though, zoning does provide the limits for
construction within its system of controlling density and use.

It is obvious to me the homogenous & wasteful use of land that most of
today's zoning models encourage needs to be re-evaluated.  With this
re-evaluation will be the realization that density will need to increase.  I
trust that as higher-density models get implemented there will also be an
increased community awareness and valuation in the quality of available
"green space."  Vertically is one option for increasing density, clustering
is one, and smaller size is another.  It all takes land.  How land should be
used needs to be better understood.

Land value will drive this phenomenon as shown throughout the US in large
metropolis areas (and some smaller ones.)  As scarcity of land near desired
ammentities increases, so will land costs, and developers (or buyers)
needing to recoup such high costs will push for higher density.  These basic
economic forces are visible most everywhere as land values are on the rise.
One troublesome aspect to me is the common perception (and that perception
is often correct given most current development models), that increased
density-of-life equals decreased quality-of-life.  There does not need to be
such a correlation.  Increased density CAN be more appealing than current
low density, if it is done right.  It CAN be better for the environment, if
it is done right.  Increased density needs to be done right to conserve open
land resources, and it will happen - when the value system is appropriate.

Mixed-use is another issue that current zoning does a poor job of providing
for.  Vast areas of homogenous residential-use sterilizes the environment by
not allowing related and needed functions to co-inhabit.  One has to travel
to a commercial zone to find goods and services.  In residential zones,
pockets or nodes of goods and services are as desired as viral infections.
New visions require new modes of thought and it's difficult for such change
to be accepted.  For example, I have a concept for Moscow's Triangle Park
that could provide housing there as well as provide play space.  It would
not be the same space as it is now, but it COULD be an acceptable
alternative, IF the value system was appropriate.  Will Moscow ever come to
that point?  Probably not, but the concept has the potential for increasing
density AND preserving green space AND in an area close to needed amenities.

What qualities make one development better than another - that is what many
communities don't understand, because the better developments are few.  Many
concepts are floating about (smart growth, green building, sustainable,
energy efficient, etc.), but the public does not know what these experiences
are or even what they might look like.  As property values increase so will
lagging environmental and quality-of-life values.  As these value systems
gain maturity and extraneous factors tip the scale towards environmental and
energy issues.  More "sustainable" projects will reach the public's
experience and alter their knowledge and understanding of what these
concepts really mean.  In a sense, America thinks it wants these, but
mainstream America is not ready for them because they don't know what they
are.  They haven't experienced what these things imply nor what they embody
beyond their obvious intent.

Having visions is good, whether any reaches fruition will depend on the
timing of a shift in values.  Everyone knows where the future is going, the
difficulty is knowing the timing of arrival.  Affordable housing is needed,
but when will it arrive (in a quality that is fitting and appropriate for
any community)?  Efficient construction, sustainable growth and zero energy
consumption have the same issues.  They will eventually arrive, but there
needs to be greater movement to make it happen.  Inceasing density is just
part of the movement needed and communities eventually need to realize that.
When they come to understand, the telling will be the shift in their system
of values.

Mark

mark r. seman, architect
v=928.925.7617   f=928.776.9107