[Vision2020] Housing Density, et al. (was: Climate Protection)

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Tue Aug 8 15:10:07 PDT 2006

Ken,

Good points. Thanks for throwing them into the discussion.

To carry this forward, let's consider building up rather than out.
There are a number of questions we need to ask. Here are a few:

1) Current code limits residential structures to a maximum of 40 feet
and commercial structures to 65 feet (some zones allow residential in
with the commercial). If one assumes ten feet per story, that means
four and six stories. If we go up, how much higher? Should the limit
be ten stories? A hundred? However high the fire ladders reach?

2) How should the tall buildings be grouped? Perhaps shoulder to
shoulder along streets, like in most urban cores? Perhaps as
occasional structures reminiscent of the grain elevators?

3) Should they be surrounded by asphalt or green space (imagine a
spire emerging from a park)?

4) and so forth.

Given that there is a large area near the University that is changing
uses, the idea of going up is one worth discussing and incorporating
into the revision of the Comp Plan.

There are more visions out there. Let's hear them. Then, figure out
how make them a reality (i.e. get them into the Comp Plan.

Kit Craine