[Vision2020] An Iraqi Veteran's Testimony

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 7 16:40:02 PDT 2006

Another Iraq tragedy
Lewiston Morning Tribune, August 7, 2006

"A dramatic, disastrous event," per the Webster's II.

Having returned on July 15, with my USAF-ANG uniform still on, I can and will now definitely say to those who listen with basic objectivity that the actions by the current Republican White House administration and congressional leaders since October 2001 are not only missteps, inaccuracies and intelligence failures, but also just basic dishonest lies.

When one communicates to others information that is not true, these are termed lies, plain and simple. When leaders mislead followers with lies, all of us lose.

On the ramp at Baghdad International Airport, on July 3, a patriot detail performed again, with two more flag-draped coffins, ever so carefully and ceremoniously carried into the C130 for the final flight home. I attended five patriot details from May to July. Softly spoken commands were issued. All present rendered the highest ceremonial respect and honors possible to those two beneath their flag. Small arms fire sounded in the not-too-far distance. Our own weapons at arm's length, a quick reach. Some teary eyes, some quiet sniffles. Everyone present had thoughts racing through their own minds. I did. I do. Retiring back across the ramp were at least a score of military uniforms, different heights and weights, both male and female. Not a word was heard, just some heavy sighs.

In my own mind, I question the legality and justice of the invasion and the still-changing stories from our elected president and vice president. I left my lone 5-week-old son and his mother. I'd been gone longer than he's been alive. It's my duty to America, this tragedy.

Ronald C. Lamb

Asotin