[Vision2020] Castro's an Enemy of a Free Press

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 6 08:18:08 PDT 2006

>From Bob Schieffer's commentary of today's (August 6, 2006) "Face the
Nation" -

Castro's an Enemy of a Free Press
By Bob Schieffer

For years, I've been telling journalism students the difference between
totalitarian societies and democracies is that in a totalitarian society the
only source of news is the government.

In a democracy, a free press provides a second source.

Last week, Fidel Castro provided a splendid example of why having a second
source to check against the government's version is a good thing.

The only news about Castro's emergency surgery came from Castro himself, who
reported his condition was stable, but added he couldn't say more for
national security reasons.

Here's the problem: from the time he came to power in 1959 and gave an
exclusive interview to Face the Nation, Castro has shown himself to be an
outrageous liar. That day, he promised free elections.

That and everything else he said that day including a denial he was a
Communist proved to be a lie and he has been lying ever since.

So who knows if he is even in the hospital? Maybe he went to Disneyworld.

The next time you become exasperated with the "liberal" press or maybe can't
stomach another word from Rush Limbaugh, just imagine how it would be if
they weren't there and we had only the government version of events.

The press isn't perfect and is sometimes wrong, which is why the off switch
on our radio and television is so useful. But when an administration - any
administration - tells you tougher controls on the press will make us safer,
just remember how we got the news about old Castro.

The more I think of it, he could be at Disneyworld.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up,
at least a little bit."

- Edward R. Murrow