[Vision2020] Who earns minimum wage?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Aug 4 21:39:56 PDT 2006

I wouldn't call Gary's assessment of who earns minimum wage cold, nor yet
cauld.  I'd call it ill-informed.  This is the sort of hard data you can
dredge up at Heritage.org.  Taken out of its real human context, you wind
up with a list of figures that sound okay, perhaps even reasonable, but if
you get off the computer and out the front door and meet a few minimum-
wage earners, you might see the point in lifting this base-line.

Okay, fifty-some percent of those earning minimum wage are not the sole
bread-winners in their family.  Those are the cold hard facts.  Say there
are two people in a household working full-time and both earning minimum
wage.  Your friend, Wal-Mart, keeps thousands of employees just below full-
time to avoid paying benefits, and the corporation complains bitterly that
too many employees are staying with the company too long and thus earning
a few bucks above minimum.  How do we get rid of those ambitious
bastards?  But that's another post.

Our two minimum wage earners together make $21,506 per year for eighty
hours combined work per week.  Tell me: how do you advance in the
workplace with only a high school diploma or a GED?  You go to college or
trade school.  Great idea!  And how will you pay for that?  How will you
get in?  Do you know how to apply?  There's ever greater demand for
proportionally fewer slots.  Strike one.  Now imagine that you grew up
poor.  College was never an option.  But you're clever.  You've read a few
Horatio Alger American success stories, so you screw up your courage and
apply.  Did you get in?  Lucky you.  Now, while you attend your classes,
you continue to pay the rent, hold down your full-time job, and hope you
don't get sick or need a root canal because you have no health care.
Strike two.

You finished college.  No illnesses; no catastrophes.  Your college loans
total $40,000 and you've racked up another $10,000 on those easy-to-get
credit cards.  You didn't major in engineering; math is not your strong
suit.  Besides, you wanted to be a school teacher, and so you majored in
education.  You spend three years subbing while you look for a job.  You
earn more than you used to make, but it doesn't feel like all that much
because your student loan payments and that damned credit card bill take a
great fat whack out of your paycheck.  And, lo!  Wage increases are no
longer keeping up with the rate of inflation.  Haven't been for some
time.  Gas is three bucks a gallon.  You have to drive from Moscow to
Genesee (or vice-versa) to sub.  Hard times.

Who primarily works for minimum wage?  Teenagers, yes; retired people
looking to earn a few extra bucks; and women with children, especially
women of color.  What's the toll on society of $5.15 an hour?  People
working for minimum wage are obliged to rely on public assistance.
Medicaid, school lunch programs, subsidized housing, subsidized
childcare.  What costs the state more, a low minimum wage or a solid
living wage?  Which is richer, Washington, where the minimum wage is $7.65
an hour, or Idaho, where it's $5.15?

Don't talk to me about working two and three jobs like grandpappy did in
the glorious 1950s.  I've worked three and sometimes four jobs, and I
don't wish it on another living soul.  It makes you sick; it wears you
out; it eats your soul.  When I ask Jerry Brady about Idaho and a living
wage, I'll certainly pass on Gary's kind thoughts about bootstrapping it
or eating cat food or whatever it is he thinks Mr. and Mrs.
NotGaryCrabtree ought to do, and I'll be interested to hear what he has to
say.  Very interested indeed.

I only wish I could ask Butch Otter the same question.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com