[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for August 4, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 4 13:10:17 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for August 4, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
Aug. 4, 2006

Dear Friends,

A wonderful variety of activities for Vandals in southern Idaho took place
this week, from an alumni gathering in Idaho Falls, to the Buhl Pigout to
the Governor's Gala in Boise. All these efforts generate financial support
for our students, and we are grateful to the hundreds of alumni and friends
of the University of Idaho who make this possible and enjoyable. It's been a
valuable and inspiring time for Karen and me, as we talk with alumni and
friends and prepare for the 2006-07 academic year. Classes begin Aug. 21.

While in Boise, I taped a half-hour interview on KTVB's "Viewpoint" public
affairs program, with news anchor Mark Johnson, that will air throughout the
day on Sunday, Aug. 6 on the 24/7 channel. I also spent time on KIDO radio's
live "Idaho Today" program. We covered quite a lot of ground: how the
University of Idaho continues to expand intellectual boundaries and foster
new ideas through efforts like our new strategic research initiatives in
areas including sustainability, water resources and nanotechnologies. We
talked about the continuing high quality of the students we attract, and how
those students become better prepared for life in the global economy through
their exposure to top students from more than 90 countries and all 50
states. And we discussed the heightened expectations for the football
program with the return of Coach Dennis Erickson. As we anticipate the
arrival of the class of 2010 in our classrooms across the state, our
expectations are high, and growing higher, in everything we do. We are proud
to be creating truly transformational experiences for every student who
joins us at the University of Idaho. The track record is clear and
impressive...coming from the University of Idaho our graduates lead anywhere
in the world.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Lynn Baird has been named interim dean of the University Library effective
Sept. 11. Baird will be responsible for organizational leadership and
direction of the information and learning resources of the University
Library and related access to those resources for students, staff, faculty
and clients statewide. Baird currently holds the position of associate dean
for the Library with the rank of professor. She has more than three decades
of experience at the University Library, including roles as head of the
serials, acquisitions and access services departments. Baird replaces
Ron Force, who retires Sept. 8. A search committee, led by John Hasko,
College of Law library director, has been formed to find a permanent
replacement.

Jason Giuffre, a four year letter winner with the track and field program,
has been selected as a 2005-06 recipient of the Western Athletic Conference
Stan Bates Award. The award signifies the conference's most outstanding male
and female student-athletes, and include a $2,000 postgraduate scholarship.
Giuffre is a mechanical engineering major and expects to graduate in
December. He currently has a 3.77 GPA. He is a three-time All-Academic Big
West Team member and a 2006 WAC All-Academic Team member. He was a member of
1600-meter relay team that most recently placed second at the 2006 WAC
Outdoor Championships.

The Pocatello law firm of Hopkins Roden Crockett Hansen & Hoopes, P.L.L.C.
has expressed a commitment to excellence in legal education at the
University of Idaho. The firm has established a scholarship initiative for
the College of Law to develop future leaders in the legal profession in
Idaho and the Northwest. The initiative will provide a three-year recruiting
scholarship to be awarded to an outstanding student who enters the College
of Law in the fall of 2007. The intention is to help the college recruit
and enroll students whose academic credentials are nationally competitive,
and with the capacity to achieve the levels of excellence and leadership
expected of the lawyers of Hopkins Roden and the University of Idaho. To
learn more about giving to the University of Idaho College of Law, contact
Michele Bartlett at (208) 364-4044, bartlett at uidaho.edu or visit
www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96