[Vision2020] immigration: comment to RVcowboy

Melynda Huskey melynda at moscow.com
Sun Apr 30 21:35:49 PDT 2006

rvrcowboy wrote:
> Pardon my language, but just what the hell does the present situation and
> problems with our open borders have to do with "racist social policy"?
>
> This is the sort of rhetoric that continually prevents any positive action
> to solve these problems.  Liberals are quick to play the race card or accuse
> the other side of bigotry, or some other heinous act.  This ends debate,
> diminishes the situation and is clearly an end run around the entire
> problem.
>
> Why can't you simply stick to the point that we have a problem with illegal
> immigration without expanding the problem into areas that kill all action?
> Self-anointed-intelluctuals always have to give the appearance they think on
> a higher plane than "normal" people.  By doing so, they only make themselves
> look foolish to the mainstream, will they ever learn?

Dick,

Why wouldn't the history of immigration law and policy in this country
have something to do with our current immigration situation?

Surely we can agree that knowing more is better than knowing less, and
that thinking about how the past and present are connected will help us
think more clearly about the future?

The very first immigration policy in this country's history limited
naturalization to white men.  From then to the present day, racism has
played a key role in the way we understand, talk about, and implement
immigration policy.  In the process, we have created racialized enemies
of "white" civilization--the Irish, Eastern Europeans, the Chinese,
Jews, Japanese, Mexicans--and scapegoated them, which is what I believe
is happening now.  The real problems caused by undocumented immigrants
are obscured by such claims as "my cousin was mugged by a Mexican gang,
so let's deport all the 'illegals.' "   Last week, a Latino boy in Texas
was assaulted by a couple of white teenagers who believed he'd kissed a
white girl:  they beat him nearly to death and sodomized him with a
pipe, poured bleach on his body, and left him for dead.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3822963.html

I believe that the incessant diatribes on television and talk radio
against Latinos, disguised as concern about immigration, contribute to
crimes like these.

Melynda Huskey