[Vision2020] Thirsty for a Wal-Mart?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 30 07:53:27 PDT 2006

>From today's (April 30, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to Mark
Soloman -

Thirsty for a Wal-Mart?

Fact: The city of Moscow is signatory to the Palouse Basin Aquifer agreement
which requires it to limit increases in aquifer pumping to 1 percent
annually and for Moscow to not exceed a pumping cap of 875 million
gallons/year (MGY).

Fact: From 1994 to 2003, Moscow exceeded its 1 percent annual growth limit
and from 1998-2003 its 875 mgy cap.

Fact: In 2004, the city implemented mandatory landscape irrigation measures
that reduced the amount of water pumped by the city from 919 MGY in 2003 to
819 MGY in 2005. (Bravo!) In addition, 2005 was the first year since the
city signed the PBAA agreement that it was in compliance with the agreement.

Fact: Moscow city wells (with the exception of wells 6 and 8, which have had
their pumping significantly decreased due to municipal piping issues)
continue to have declining water levels despite the conservation efforts of
people and businesses across the city.

Fact: the super Wal-Mart developer forecasts full build out at 1.5 million
square feet of commercial space. The applicant predicts water usage at over
62 MGY or a 7.6 percent increase above current levels violating the 1
percent PBAC limit. Full build out will cause the city to exceed its
absolute PBAC cap of 875 MGY.

Question: Is this how we want to use the water we have conserved? Do we want
to give all our water to Wal-Mart?

Answer: City council public hearing on proposed rezone to accommodate a
super Wal-Mart May 1, at 7 p.m. Ask the council yourself.

Mark Solomon
Moscow

Well said, Mr. Solomon.

Seeya round town, Moscow.