[Vision2020] Water: Reclaiming the wet landscape was What's missing

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 13:10:23 PDT 2006

Good thought Kit!  I remember seeing something about a small bottled water company that collects their water that very way and stores it in tanks, does some reverse osmosis process, and then bottles it.

Craine Kit <kcraine at verizon.net> wrote:  A thought relating wetlands and the earlier suggestions about a
reservoir: would it be possible to capture rainwater from roofs and
deposit in drywells? If so, could that provide a recharge mechanism?

Kit Craine

On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Nils Peterson wrote:

> On 4/26/06 9:17 AM, James Reynolds wrote:
>
>> ...When the Palouse was settled and made into a wheat producing
>> landscape many
>> small ponds, wetlands and such were drained off. These drained
>> areas were
>> perhaps the recharge engines for our upper aquifer. How about
>> reclaiming some
>> (many) of these areas for this? Federal, State, maybe even county
>> technical
>> asistence (maybe some monetary) would be available to start such a
>> program and
>> I expect our ever-growing urban farmer population on their 40 acre
>> tracts
>> would be interested in having a pond etc..
>
> A friend who farms west of Pullman has used money from some federal
> program
> to reclaim the land along his creek, adding a meander and two
> ponds, and
> planting the whole area to a mix of native plants and fruit & nut
> trees.
>
> Along the Troy Hwy, between Styner and Blaine, on the south side,
> is a small
> rill and marshy area filled with cattails. The south boundary of
> this area
> is the Paraside Path on the old RR embankment. The City mows the
> grassy
> northern edge, but not the boggy part. There are a number of red wing
> blackbirds that live there. We see the occasional duck also. Might
> it be
> interesting to impound that water a bit more -- maybe 2 feet deep,
> and make
> a pond?
>
> I've tried to enlist a UI landscape design class to think about the
> area
> (Travois to Hwy 8; Blaine to Styner) as a linear park. You have
> just given
> me an additional idea for that class project.

> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

List services made available by First Step Internet,