[Vision2020] Water: Are we the cause?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 23:20:47 PDT 2006

Nils,

 How do we even know that we (humans in Moscow) are the  cause of the decline in the aquifer? Just because my bathtub water is  going down does not mean I am consuming it. Just a thought.

  _DJA

Nils Peterson <nils_peterson at wsu.edu> wrote:  This is a good list, and some clear challenges. If the assertion in #1 is
true, many people don't believe its an issue, then I doubt the rest of the
items can follow.

Is it possible that many think a declining aquifer might be a problem, but
they don't think they can affect a solution, or that a solution might be
financially costly to them, or that a solution might have negative impacts
on the city (read, no growth).

Art Deco writes:
> Nils asks:
>
> "What is missing to put this into action?"
>
> Among other things that may or may not be missing but whose existence is
> vital:
>
> 1.    A large enough segment of the Moscow electorate willing to be educated
> on this issue.  There are many people who believe that the water issue is
> not that important at this time.
>
> 2.    Enough informed, willing and able persons to do the one-on-one
> education that it would probably take; the funds that it would take to
> prepare the materials for and to execute the education program.
>
> 3.    A majority on the Moscow City Council with enough courage and stamina
> to lead, to carefully plan, and to enact the program.
>
> 4.    A competent enough city manager and staff to successfully implement
> the program.
>
> W.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com