[Vision2020] Re: Hispanic comments...

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Apr 25 07:31:52 PDT 2006

Not one of the immigrants I know -- and, cowboy, I've known hundreds --
would have any idea who these people are.

I'm fairly well-informed on the issue, speak Spanish, lived in Arizona for
22 years, ministered to Mexican immigrants for a dozen years in the 90s
until moving here in 2002, and my politics are generally liberal.  Still,
I've heard of none of the folks you quoted.  I doubt that I'd want to have a
beer with any of them; they sound somewhat disagreeable.

But they aren't the problem, they aren't the issue, and they aren't the
immigrants.  The manifesto they appear to lay out has nothing to do with
anyone I know and is unlikely to come true in any way, shape, or form -- the
complexion of the country may be changing in areas, but that's the history
of the United States writ with an accent you appear to simply fear.  Having
taught hundreds of English classes, all well-attended, I can attest to the
eagerness with which Mexican immigrants, even sub-literate ones, approach
learning English.

Now, since you only regurgitated other sources, I'm curious -- can you tell
us about YOUR experience with or views on immigrants, foreign culture,
cultural diversity in the US, learning a second language, politics in the
sunbelt, or anything else germane to the subject?

keely