[Vision2020] re:water

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 21:37:32 PDT 2006

I say we continue to pump water from the aquifer. In the year 2306  A.D., when we run out of water, then we can look and see what options  we have available for water usage. Who knows, maybe by that year the  ice caps will melt and water will cover the entire Earth, which will be  good because it is going to get really hot.

 If you want to  fight this horrible problem put an non-recyclable laminated bumper  sticker on the back of your 5 MPG SUV that publicly proclaims your love  for Mother Earth and to stop paving it over because the water never  gets into the ground.

  Take Care,

  _DJA

Mark Solomon <msolomon at moscow.com> wrote:    Re: [Vision2020] re:water  While  it hasn't been examined recently, an Army Corps of Engineers study from  1982? (help on the date anyone?) examined the costs and general  feasibility of pumping water from the Snake, from Dworshak and from the  N. Fk Palouse River to Moscow. All were prohibitively expensive. It's a  2000' lift from the Snake or Dworshak plus the pipeline.

  I've  been advocating for the last year or more that PBAC members impose a  task on themselves to establish individual water budgets based on the  best currently available knowledge. Even if all they did was say the  amount we're pumping now is the amount we'll set for our budget as  "sustainable" (hardly a very defensible premise, but it's a place to  start), it would allow each entity to put costs to acquiring new water,  be it through conservation or new sources. My guess is all of a sudden  water conservation would be an economically viable part of the cities  and universities base program, not the add-on it's generally treated as  now.

  For an example, let's say a developer  wanted to build 50 new houses and it was going to take 5 million  gallons/yr to supply them with water (that's a real number based on  average consumption rates for a household of 4). Low flush toilets use  13,000 gallons/year less than older toilets for a family of four. There  are at least several thousand old 5-7 gallon/flush toilets in Moscow  houses. The City could have a program where a developer could pay into  a toilet replacement fund to cover the cost of replacing enough toilets  that his or her development ended up water budget neutral. In this  instance, the developer would have to "buy" 384 low-flush toilets to  balance the water books. It would be significantly less costly to the  developer if the developer installed water saving devices and  appliances throughout the house and xeriscaped the yard as well.

  Let's make a water budget and stick to it!

  Mark Solomon