[Vision2020] Locate a reservoir was Re: name of this list & water

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Mon Apr 24 09:29:09 PDT 2006

Decker and Carscallen raised an interesting points about reservoirs,
pressurized irrigation lines and additional waste treatment plants.

Those ideas are worth discussing only if there is agreement that some
different approach is needed to securing adequate water.

I'm guessing that many on this list would agree that there is a water
resource issue -- its more a matter of how urgent it seems for each person.

Dan's point about cost is a good way to measure the urgency. "They all cost
so dang much" if you think there are more urgent priorities, and the options
might seem affordable if you think a water shortage is a critical aspect
controlling to Moscow's success.

What if we were to estimate the cost of a sustainable Lake Carscallen and
price the water it could provide, then raise water rates to that replacement
cost? If water rates were maintained pegged to the marginal cost of
providing the next unit of water we would not operate in artificial
economies.

Dan said in part:
After seeing the city of Troy get approval of their Conditional Use
Permit to build a reservoir up Big Creek, thereby increasing their
storage from 8 million to 240+million gallons, I've been trying to think
of *where* Moscow could have such a reservoir.  Troy is a bit more
conveniently located than Moscow, but there are options, albeit quite a
distance away.  Anything would have to happen closer to Moscow Mountain,
and almost anyplace logical is privately owned.  Troy got lucky in that
they are able to locate their reservoir on University of Idaho ground.

As far as water for irrigation, why don't we build anohter waste water
treatment plant on the eastern/southern side of Moscow and make that
usable for irrigation of public areas, such as the cemetary, parks, etc.
This would also take some of the pressure off our current plant,
allowing it to work longer.

I'm sure there's other ideas.  Too bad they all cost so dang much.