[Vision2020] Crazy Train

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 23 15:55:27 PDT 2006

Thank you very much for your tone, Ed. I hope that we can meet soon. Are you free on Tuesday? We could meet at the One World Cafe.

Herein lies the problem. Your view comes down to a particular interpretation of a particular religious text. We even agree on the text, Ed. Where we disagree is in the interpretation of that text. Maybe your interpretation works for you but it does not work for me. It seems unnatural to me.

[Side note: You are JUST PLAIN WRONG to assert that the Bible is full of condemnations against "homosexuality." There are just two people who condemn it, really: Paul and Leviticus. I'd be interested to see if you have some text that suggests that I am wrong.]

If we are in a debate about which interpretation of the Bible is the better one, well I don't want to suggest that I would be the winner of that debate. I've been a Christian for only a short time now.

The relevant debate, however, is about who can and who cannot marry whoever they damn well please. That is the practical issue before us.

If, on the basis of my own religious beliefs, I judge that you are acting immorally, that is irrelevant from your own point of view, right Ed? You are not moved by the fact that I think that you are acting immorally in saying what you say about gays and lesbians. I think that you are not being very Christian in acting as you do. But you could care less what I think.

Likewise, you may believe whatever you want about which sex practices are the good ones but I will not have my own actions -- or the actions of my friends and family -- inhibitied by your personal beliefs. At least not if I can help it. (And in Idaho I have a damn good chance.)

Clear harms to clear persons. That should be the only concern of the law. Particular interpretations of particular religious texts are not the standards.

--
Joe Campbell

---- Ed <ecooper at turbonet.com> wrote:

Joe et al,

Your missive, well, down to your final statement, was interesting. But, the basis for my argument against homosexuality is biblical. (In the Bible, God condemnation of homosexuality is pervasive.) Yet, especially for non-believers (atheists, agnostics, etc.), further proof my reasoning is correct lies in pure common sense, and generalizations I suppose. From fitting like a puzzle piece, anatomy, emotionally, procreation (thus sustaining a population base), and other common sense ills.